No announcement yet.

Linux Gaming Benchmarks With Plasma-Next, KDE Frameworks 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agreeing with Micheal way to test the final distro-environment "as it is" I hope to see soon this comparison:
    Ubuntu Unity vs Fedora Gnome vs Chakra KDE vs Mint Cinnamon
    (so then we could complain after the distro releasers - not Micheal)
    Last edited by rossocrama; 25 June 2014, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rossocrama View Post
      agreeing with Micheal way to test the final distro-environment "as it is" I hope to see soon this comparison:
      Ubuntu Unity vs Fedora Gnome vs Chakra KDE vs Mint Cinnamon
      (so then we could complain after the distro releasers - not Micheal)
      if someone wants to see how thinks work , he or she should pick a distro that deals with every DE equally and not having one specially treated and just forward the others from debian's repository(there I said it)

if the unbiased results are not enough to convince someone, then at least he or she must consider using the most popular one(based on user's installation) which is mint.

at least I hope that the misleading titles should change to ubuntu *something* benchmark ...

(for me, the closest thing to linux benchmarking, is using arch or gentoo or atleast some 1st level distros that build packages from the source and they are not forking them from someone else)

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
        Better safe than sorry and it's not a really useful option anyway.
        I'm sorry for continuing an off-topic, but it is useful. For example, I watch a lot of movies in mpv (-vo=opengl), which requires disabled compositing to be perfectly smooth. Back when I had an Nvidia card and the option used to work, I could watch mpv when it was full-screen and have compositing ready when it wasn't. Now with an Intel card I know I can set a window rule for mpv to suspend compositing but as I like to have it open most of the time that would be the same as having just suspended compositing altogether. Wouldn't you please reconsider just adding a warning, or maybe a new option to kwinrc? Or is there some option already that would allow me to have that functionality back?

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
          I already knew that KDE was slow, kinda disappointed that this isn't faster than KDE4 but they still have a few months before the first release to fix it up. Why isn't GNOME in this comparison? Mutter has always felt like the fastest cross-distro composited environment to me. Unity doesn't port well to Arch or Fedora or any distros I run so I haven't used it in a long time.
          actually, gnome has about 10% fps drop compared to metacity or enlightenment. tested this with all games where i could and finally got to conclusion that "metacity --replace &" is my best friend when running games

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
            if someone wants to see how thinks work , he or she should pick a distro that deals with every DE equally and not having one specially treated and just forward the others from debian's repository(there I said it)

if the unbiased results are not enough to convince someone, then at least he or she must consider using the most popular one(based on user's installation) which is mint.

at least I hope that the misleading titles should change to ubuntu *something* benchmark ...

(for me, the closest thing to linux benchmarking, is using arch or gentoo or atleast some 1st level distros that build packages from the source and they are not forking them from someone else)
            most of all users "Linux needs to conquer", don't have time and tech knowledge to look at "how the things work", but they just want an open OS that works at least as the closed ones do (in terms of features, speed and KISS principles): Linux still needs to accomplish these "quality" results (probably just Mint / Ubuntu / Fedora nears them)

moreover distro-trends and complexity show that distros and DEs are more and more chaining themselves (eg. Fedora->Gnome+Wayland; Ubuntu->Unity+MIR; Mint->Cinnamon; KDE juggling between Kubuntu, OpenSuse and Chakra) so benchmarking the "main-line products" have more sense that the derivatives to me

(as a long time distrohopper I like and use 1st level distros Arch, Gentoo, etc... but benchmarking them will lead to blaming Micheal to use different settings in compiling Kernel, X, Mesa... no please)
            Last edited by rossocrama; 25 June 2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
              So, seems to be ubuntu is the best way to play in linux.
              He didn't include Xfce this time, but Xfce has scored a lot better than Unity in the past. I was quite impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                So, seems to be ubuntu is the best way to play in linux.
                It wasn't the case as of Ubuntu 13.10. We need newer benchmarks to see if the situation has changed.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  He didn't include Xfce this time, but Xfce has scored a lot better than Unity in the past. I was quite impressed.
                  DE has no impact on performance, only WM does. running metacity with gnome on top or xfce produces same result. though, enlightenment with 3d enabled, compositor disabled fares even better. not much, but it is fastest as far i tested. though, any other choice of those 2 settings makes enlightenment not even as good as gnome on mutter

Comment

For anyone with intel hardware that want the "suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows" there is a workaround;
                    There is a kwin script in kde examples that completely *disable* compositing as soon as it detects a fullscreen window.
                    ...being compositing completely disabled, and not just the window unredirected, you'll have no flickering in fullscreen too.

i've made a zip to easy install it:

Code:
                    wget http://wpage.unina.it/aorefice/sharevari/nocompositingfs.zip -O /tmp/nocompositingfs.zip && plasmapkg -t kwinscript -i /tmp/nocompositingfs.zip
                    After that, you should have a new kwin script to activate; if not, try to restart kwin.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                      DE has no impact on performance, only WM does. running metacity with gnome on top or xfce produces same result. though, enlightenment with 3d enabled, compositor disabled fares even better. not much, but it is fastest as far i tested. though, any other choice of those 2 settings makes enlightenment not even as good as gnome on mutter
                      DE may have an impact on performance if it does things like updating widgets and so on...

Comment

Working...
                      X