Opera 24 On Chromium Now Available For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    After 10 years of using my favorite browser, I have finally switched fulltime to Firefox.

One year without support is simply too long, and closed-source browsers are no longer relevant. Bye bye, Opera.
    Exactly. Also, FF for Android is quite nice (adblock, lastpass, etc. plugin support), and having everything sync across phone/tablet/desktop is a plus.

Comment

It emulates the ubuntu interface, so it doesn't intergrate very nicely with anything other than the default ubuntu theme. I seriously don't see why anyone would be using this browser nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
        they are also adding support for PPAPI so you will be able to use flash 14 too like you can with chrome.
        The problem is not the support for PPAPI, but if Adobe will release a redistributable package with Flash PPAPI like they do with Flash NPAPI.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I was a big fan of opera, but ever since they switched to chromium they destroyed everything that made their product good. I've got nothing against chromium, but it was already a relatively limited browser and opera just made it even more difficult to use. I've switched to firefox about a year ago and I don't regret it. There are a couple things here and there that opera did that FF doesn't, but they're not important enough for me to care. Not that the new opera supports those features anyway...
        +1. Even Chromium has more features than Opera Chromium-based. I used Opera for 8 years, but I switched to Chromium (also tried Firefox, SeaMonkey, rekonq, QupZilla) after Opera 12.

Comment

not working

not working for me lol

Comment

Flash is more dead than even Opera.

I haven't installed it for more than a year, and I still haven't found a single website that breaks. Video streaming works out of the box, audio streaming works out of the box, 3d graphics work out of the box - no reason left to use flash anymore. Really happy I don't have to use that buggy, insecure POS anymore.
            You mustn't use many websites then as tons still require flash. BBC iplayer, countless other video websites. Once html5 drm is available in all modern browsers flash's death will accelerate very quickly.

Originally posted by nachoig View Post
            The problem is not the support for PPAPI, but if Adobe will release a redistributable package with Flash PPAPI like they do with Flash NPAPI..
            adobe are working with opera to make flash available for opera. They didn't say if it will be in an installer or if it will be included in the browser like what chrome does. This was announced a few days ago.
            Last edited by hajj_3; 23 June 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
              You mustn't use many websites then as tons still require flash. BBC iplayer, countless other video websites. Once html5 drm is available in all modern browsers flash's death will accelerate very quickly.
              Indeed. It might be that BBC iplayer doesn't work - but that's only available in the UK so it's irrelevant anyway. I've yet to encounter a video website that doesn't work with HTML5.

Comment

Too little, too late Opera.

Otter is advancing well, and it looks like my hack will actually work too. Once there's a free software replacement with equivalent functionality, that's the final nail for any proprietary product.

Comment

One year without support is simply too long, and closed-source browsers are no longer relevant. Bye bye, Opera.
                  So the Choromium based Opera is not open source?? I actually thought it is is, and also the German wikipedia says so:

Originally posted by Wikipedia DE
                  Lizenz bis 12.17 Propriet?r (Freeware),
                  ab 16 Open Source

Dunno if thats correct though....

Comment

Originally posted by nachoig View Post
                    The problem is not the support for PPAPI, but if Adobe will release a redistributable package with Flash PPAPI like they do with Flash NPAPI.

+1. Even Chromium has more features than Opera Chromium-based. I used Opera for 8 years, but I switched to Chromium (also tried Firefox, SeaMonkey, rekonq, QupZilla) after Opera 12.
                    How is this a surprise?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      How is this a surprise?
                      Well, Opera 12.x and previous were famous for the sheer amount of features they managed to have while still keeping the browser light and efficient. Take that away, and it just becomes a sub-par Chromium chrome that fits in nicely with the hordes of other browsers that fit that description.

It's kind of sad, really...
                      which is why I'm rooting for Otter Browser so much :P

Comment

Working...
                      X