Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 24 On Chromium Now Available For Linux

Phoronix: Opera 24 On Chromium Now Available For Linux

In early 2013 it was announced Opera would be switching to Google's Chromium Engine over its own internal web rendering engine it had been using up to that point. They switched to Google's forked WebKit engine and for about a year now have been doing new Windows releases while Linux was left out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Opera 24 On Chromium Now Available For Linux

In early 2013 it was announced Opera would be switching to Google's Chromium Engine over its own internal web rendering engine it had been using up to that point. They switched to Google's forked WebKit engine and for about a year now have been doing new Windows releases while Linux was left out...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcyNzc
    After 10 years of using my favorite browser, I have finally switched fulltime to Firefox.

One year without support is simply too long, and closed-source browsers are no longer relevant. Bye bye, Opera.

Comment

they are also adding support for PPAPI so you will be able to use flash 14 too like you can with chrome.

Comment

...but the logo is still the same... /sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          After 10 years of using my favorite browser, I have finally switched fulltime to Firefox. (...) Bye bye, Opera.
          +1. IF and when I'll feel the need to install Chromium on my pc... I'll install Chromium.

Comment

opera still failed

when opera made the switch from presto to blink rendering engine the failed from the start by simple not bringing back the most important features like great tab management with tab stacking, side bar, bookmarks and removing built in email (never used it my self).

long live Otter web browser!

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
              they are also adding support for PPAPI so you will be able to use flash 14 too like you can with chrome.
              Flash is more dead than even Opera.

I haven't installed it for more than a year, and I still haven't found a single website that breaks. Video streaming works out of the box, audio streaming works out of the box, 3d graphics work out of the box - no reason left to use flash anymore. Really happy I don't have to use that buggy, insecure POS anymore.

Comment

Opera is proprietary

Their vision for an open world?
                Then why is their browser closed?

Opera can take their proprietary software and shove it!

I rather use Firefox or Chromium which are free open source software!

Comment

chromium outperforms firefox on all terms: speed, audio video codecs, appearance. it lacks only some plucins like youtube downloader.

Comment

I was a big fan of opera, but ever since they switched to chromium they destroyed everything that made their product good. I've got nothing against chromium, but it was already a relatively limited browser and opera just made it even more difficult to use. I've switched to firefox about a year ago and I don't regret it. There are a couple things here and there that opera did that FF doesn't, but they're not important enough for me to care. Not that the new opera supports those features anyway...

Comment

Working...
                    X