GTK+ Gets A New Default Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
    It's not the size that bothers me, it's the colours and gradients.
    That's my big beef with adwaita too; especially the dark theme - that tints gray with puke green ... and the defualt light-version is too white for my eyes.

I'm in the procress of hacking together a meta-theme for Adwaita [dark]. I basically have a couple hundred LoC of 'overrides' that make Adwaita-dark into what I think it should be; ditch the green-tones, fix the headerbar and adjust some of the widgets. + drop adwaita gtk2 for different/better gtk2 murrine/pixmap theme. drop upstream metacity for a better matching/modded one. make better use of CCS animation and some other bits.

a work in progress, but has things like headerbar CSS transition animation for focused/unfocuced windows [which are awesome]. the CSD stuff is starting to integrate nicely with my gtk2 windows and gtk3 SSD apps. Just got a few bugs to work out - as well as adjusting some Firefox-specific, etc... I might release it at some point, don't know yet.

Comment

@ninez: Looks nice, although I only know what the light adwaita looks like; I use KDE :3

Comment

Originally posted by chinoto View Post
        @ninez: Looks nice, although I only know what the light adwaita looks like; I use KDE :3
        The default Adwaita dark theme looks like this; http://worldofgnome.org/uploads/2014...rk-borders.png

I'm not a fan of it. They shouldn't have put the green in there [and probably got me to design it instead..lol]. I would have preferred something more neutral. Plus, obviously i think that black decorations are more slick I figure by the end of the week, i should have my theme finished, maybe. It's functional [for now] and an improvement over the stock, so...I'm not super-rushed.

Yeah, KDE is cool. I haven't used it in a while - but used to use it / still check it out, now and again. The last time i tried kwin though, it was a little bit slow on my machine, for some reason or another. But i've always like the customization of KDE... Myself, while using Gnome/gtk+ 3.12 -> I'm actually running gnome-flashback [NO gnome-panel] + cairo-dock + compiz-0.9.12/bzr [ with the nvidia refresh / GL_EXT_x11_sync_object support/patchwork applied... ie: this compiz uses x11 synchronization fences to sync rendering between x11 and opengl ]. So my desktop isn't exactly a standard DE... it's pretty good though.

Comment

Basically everyone knows how to write CSS and it's implemented in many browsers, so even if it is slower, you get the benefit of everyone know how to use it and being able to reuse code (or at least general ideas) from browsers.
          Yes, this highlights one difference in ideology. One school says it's better for one person to learn something harder to save million users' resources; the other says fuck resources, easy and network effects is where it's at, let's add JS and CSS.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Yes, this highlights one difference in ideology. One school says it's better for one person to learn something harder to save million users' resources; the other says fuck resources, easy and network effects is where it's at, let's add JS and CSS.
            Perhaps I should have bolded "if" in "even if it is slower". With how much knowledge there is about javascript engine (and probably css) optimization, I really doubt it takes a significant amount of resources, even on a slow computer (which nowadays, isn't a concern). In the end you're going to be using some kind of language, better to leverage the optimizations and popularity of an existing one.

Comment

Perhaps I should have bolded "if" in "even if it is slower". With how much knowledge there is about javascript engine (and probably css) optimization, I really doubt it takes a significant amount of resources, even on a slow computer (which nowadays, isn't a concern). In the end you're going to be using some kind of language, better to leverage the optimizations and popularity of an existing one.
              GNOME is only using CSS as the syntax for writing themes, it doesn't have the same performance characteristics as a web browser with the DOM. It's not a performance issue for GTK+ and doesn't benefit from knowledge gained from web browser optimization.

On the other hand, using JavaScript via the SpiderMonkey VM is why gnome-shell needs 180-300M of memory rather than the reasonable 4-10M for mutter alone along with most other window managers. The gnome-shell resource consumption single-handedly turned GNOME into a bloated beast, even though nearly everything else has modest resource consumption. Writing a significant among of code in a language with dynamic + weak typing doesn't help stability either, but GNOME was already stuck with the mess that it GObject so it's not a step backwards but it's also not a step forwards like Vala.
              Last edited by strcat; 16 June 2014, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X