Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 4.3 In Beta, Bringing Good Improvements

Phoronix: LibreOffice 4.3 In Beta, Bringing Good Improvements

The beta release of LibreOffice 4.3 is available this week with many new features being under development for this popular open-source office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just in case you are wondering why a paragraph with 2^16=65535 characters exist:

The portuguese legal tradition requires ~all their documents being written without paragraph breaks -- and this tradition radiated out to other countries, most importantly: all of Brazil.

Comment

Originally posted by mufasa72 View Post
      Just in case you are wondering why a paragraph with 2^16=65535 characters exist:

The portuguese legal tradition requires ~all their documents being written without paragraph breaks -- and this tradition radiated out to other countries, most importantly: all of Brazil.
      Not trying to be culturally insensitive but... What. The. Fsck?! Why?! That seems like itd be editorial torture, not to mention masochistic for the writer
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Not trying to be culturally insensitive but... What. The. Fsck?! Why?! That seems like itd be editorial torture, not to mention masochistic for the writer
        Beats the hell out of me. Here's the reference: https://plus.google.com/111111739548...ts/GDXKZq53BSW

Comment

People adapt to anything. Maybe there are other orthographic rules designed to counter the seemingly unorganized view of the paragraph-less text.

Comment

The portuguese legal tradition requires ~all their documents being written without paragraph breaks
            My bet is that it was used at the time where kings in middle ages have given no more than 2-3 sentences about the given subject where writing it in one paragraph might have made sense and obviously no one predicted country would be subject to the European Union bureaucracy

Comment

We have to deal with things like these all the time: think about English spelling. It is beyond broken, and a real nuisance to native and non-native speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by froyo View Post
                We have to deal with things like these all the time: think about English spelling. It is beyond broken, and a real nuisance to native and non-native speakers.
                I wonder what makes you say that. English is not my native language, but it has been the easiest language to learn. Even poor and uneducated indian children learn english. It's used everywhere and has quite logical grammar. Some notable exceptions, but nothing bad. Now compare that to e.g. french or chinese :S

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  I wonder what makes you say that. English is not my native language, but it has been the easiest language to learn. Even poor and uneducated indian children learn english. It's used everywhere and has quite logical grammar. Some notable exceptions, but nothing bad. Now compare that to e.g. french or chinese :S
                  English is easy to learn because of its simple grammar. I agree on that.

I was talking about spelling. Consider the example "door" and "foot". There is no [1] way to determine the spelling of these words from the pronounciation and vice versa. This problem is endemic in English (obligatory wikipedia reference). To go back to your example, in French you can (most of the time) infer the pronounciation from the spelling. Chinese is a different matter altogether (and in so many dimensions).

[1] If you speak other Germanic languages or know some proto Germanic language, you might succeed in determing the spelling and/or pronounciation.

Comment

So they took the meaning "documents are all nothing but walls of text" literally?

Comment

Working...
                    X