Microsoft Reportedly Releasing A New Skype For Linux Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Our Major New LInux Skype Feature

Drum roll please Billy Gates................

Adverts !

Oh PS there will be bugger all other new features and no bug fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      You can't trust them any more than MS, really. I use talky and other webrtc services. I'm hoping that jitsi-videobridge gets adopted into XMPP and into telepathy some time in the next millenia, so that we can have first class native video conferencing. (with encryption, but that is already almost-sorta-nearly-done-soon?)
      Probably not. But I was more focusing on how the client has excellent linux support. WebRTC may be the future. But at the moment, can you suggest a better alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        In order to avoid data collection and corporate spying?

That has to be the worst piece of advice ever given!

In order to use google hangouts, you must register a google+ account with your real name, allow cookies and scripts from all google domains, and it only works if you use google's own browser.

Skype is a haven of openness and privacy in comparison!
        Suggest a better alternative that has half decent linux support. If I'm going to try and get people to switch over to Linux and they want a decent video/audio communicator, what should I tell them? Wait. I know, I'll tell them to use google hangouts because they already have a gmail account and the linux support is excellent.

So, I agree - data mining 'n' all. It sucks. But until there is a better solution, I'm going to tell people they can use google hangouts on Linux - so at least they use a decent OS.

Comment

*post to subscribe*

Comment

I wish I could do without Skype. I've uninstalled it a dozen times but there's always some client or relative who thinks voice/video chat/conference equals Skype. Google Hangouts I've been able to avoid thus far.

Originally posted by Kostas View Post
            *post to subscribe*
            Why? Check under "thread tools" up top next time.

Comment

I'm not talking about Jitsi in general, I'm talking about its video conferencing functionality. Does rakia have encryption and groupcall support?
              I'm not sure about rakia itself (telepathy's SIP support is rather rudimentary from what I could see), but the SIP/SIMPLE protocol certainly supports both.

Comment

Originally posted by tuubi View Post
                I wish I could do without Skype. I've uninstalled it a dozen times but there's always some client or relative who thinks voice/video chat/conference equals Skype. Google Hangouts I've been able to avoid thus far.

Why? Check under "thread tools" up top next time.
                that results in a different subscription

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  In order to avoid data collection and corporate spying?

That has to be the worst piece of advice ever given!

In order to use google hangouts, you must register a google+ account with your real name, allow cookies and scripts from all google domains, and it only works if you use google's own browser.

Skype is a haven of openness and privacy in comparison!
                  Incorrect.

1) MS collects far bigger amount of data.
                  2) Hangouts is implemented as a plug-in. Works in Firefox & Iceweasel without any problems.
                  3) Hangouts is truly cross-platform and uses PulseAudio correctly. I do regular Galaxy s4 <> Galaxy Note 10 2014 <> Debian/Weasel <> Mint 9 (yes, outdated)/FX <> MS/whatever calls in hangouts.
                  4) You don't have to use your real name. You don't need to use cookies outside of hangouts/gmail session.
                  5) Hangouts unlike skype, is a tool for communication and does not feature malicious closed-source p2p-network that is known for its vulnerabilities, datamining and drones.
                  6) Between platforms, hangouts is equally implemented and does not lack any functionality. In contrast to skype.
                  7) MS is NOT Linux-friendly. Google is.

And hangouts never ever read your BIOS password or /etc/password, unlike Skype.

Comment

Jitsi is a thing. It is really freaking ugly and written in Java, but they do have working OTR, and encrypted video chat via something called videobridge. It does protocol negotiation over XMPP but is P2P between call members.

If i had any idea that I was doing, and the whole codebase wasn't the mutant GObject C nonsense, I would try to get that protocol working in telepathy-gabble...

Go try talky.io, though. It works out of the box for me and friends on the latest firefox / chrome versons. And it even supports desktop sharing on the later. It is mostly open source, too.

Hey look, MS proprietary protocol / format lock in. So new.

http://www.talk.gg/ is actually a pretty decent site to use. I've used it in the past whenever trying to negotiate different preferences and protocols for voice chat, and it just makes things a whooooole lot easier.

I'm not sure how reliable it is for privacy, though.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                      Incorrect.

1) MS collects far bigger amount of data.
                      No organisation in the history of mankind has collected more data than google.

4) You don't have to use your real name. You don't need to use cookies outside of hangouts/gmail session.
                      You need a G+ account, and that requires a real name.

5) Hangouts unlike skype, is a tool for communication and does not feature malicious closed-source p2p-network that is known for its vulnerabilities, datamining and drones.
                      Hangouts is a tool for collecting data about you, just like every Google tool in existence. Claiming that Google does not do data mining is pure comedy.

6) Between platforms, hangouts is equally implemented and does not lack any functionality. In contrast to skype.
                      Perhaps, but you can use skype with a pseudonym and without selling your browser history. And voice and video are what people use skype for, and those work on everything.]

I hate skype, btw. I wish there were an open alternative that is feasible.

Comment

Working...
                      X