Pale Moon: Firefox Without DRM, Interface Breakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    People will accept the DRM just like they do today, and it will become the new Normal. Just like with Blu-ray and it's slow loading, firmware updates, ever-changing DRM and player lock-ups/reboots. It will just become acceptable and we will all forget about how it use to be better in the "old" days with DVD where you could watch a Movie without getting up to reboot the player...It's ridiculous and ignorance.
    Did blu-ray really get of the ground? I heard about the introduction of blu-ray then came ps3 and then nothing. Sometimes I heard people wanting a blu-ray version of the movie but otherwise...

Comment

A bastion of sanity. I wish them luck.

What's with the search provider hate? It's a legitimate revenue stream, and every browser vendor uses it. As far as I see Pale Moon has no other revenue except donations.

Comment

Where's Beta-tech when you need it. Chaptered tapes, that was the shit.

Except, I never saw it. Just heard about it. In fact was it even beta that could do that?; is 8-track a sub-set of beta like MP3 is of MPEG?

eh, whatever. Tangent.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
          People will accept the DRM just like they do today, and it will become the new Normal. Just like with Blu-ray and it's slow loading, firmware updates, ever-changing DRM and player lock-ups/reboots. It will just become acceptable and we will all forget about how it use to be better in the "old" days with DVD where you could watch a Movie without getting up to reboot the player...It's ridiculous and ignorance.
          Except DVD were already DRMed, with Content Scramble System.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
            Except DVD were already DRMed
            ...badly.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
              This is overblown for no reason other than controversial headlines targeting people who aren't informed...
              True.
              When Mozilla decided to put the weight of its significant user base behind DRM they took it from wide spread to ubiquitous and no fork of any kind can fix that.

However, since Mozilla's official reasoning is that the protection of their market share trumps any other concern, moving some of that market share to a browser with Mozilla's original principles a viable goal for the future.

I.e. if a single fork can take over Firefox's market share, it can then support Mozilla's now abandoned mission of advancing the open web.

So, yes, you are right, it doesn't make any sense now, but it could be a very good way forward in the medium and long term

Cheers,
              _

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                Or you could, I don't know, just not download the DRM plugin?
                My interpretation of several comments by Mozillans was that the download is likely to happen automatically but the user will be asked before execution.

Probably because it is more efficient due to downloading being parallelizable.

Cheers,
                _

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                  HTML5 DRM will standardize the DRM interface
                  Can you elaborate on that?

All indications so far seem to be that the only standardized portion is a minimal JavaScript API for facilitating key exchange between the server and a local, unspecified, content decryption module.
                  As far as I understand there is no standardization in how these CDMs are implemented, how browsers interface with them or how they interface with the system.
                  There also seems to be no standardization in how they work, with several incompatible implementations under way.

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                  It also brings DRM to platforms popular with hackers/coders, invading their safehaven and triggering appropriate action.
                  Could you also elaborate on that?

My understanding so far is that the lack of any kind of standardization on the CDM part allows each CDM implementor to decide which platforms to target, making it likely that each CDM vendor who is also a platform vendor (Microsoft, Google, Apple) will mosty target their own and probably locked down systems like set top boxes.

So far it seems not likely that either Microsoft or Apple will deliver their CDMs for "platforms popular with hackers/coders", thus only leaving the other vendor's CDMs open for closer inspection or attack, weakening their effectivness relative to the first two and reducing server providers' incentive to invest in them.

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Working...
                  X