KDE Plasma-Next + KF5 Is Looking Nice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    I don't get it... what's the point of re-vamping the look of Plasma (it looks amazing now) and keeping the old Qt/KWin theme? Applications don't fit together with the the desktop at ALL, which sucks :/
    I'd rather have it all look like crap, but look like crap together (Motif, anybody?) than have one part be beautiful and one part be "meh".
    As pumrel said: its all a work in progress. Different parts will be done at different times. I know some UI work is being put off (its in dev now, but they know it wont be done in time) until the next release.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by pumrel View Post
      This is not how it is going to look. Check out http://wheeldesign.blogspot.com if you're interested in how the new theme will look.
      I knew about the site, but I haven't been keeping tabs. I have to say... if that's what KDE is going to look like, I'm ditching Cinnamon in a heartbeat. KDE's theme(s) was always my biggest issue with it (I'm shallow, I know), so now I just have to work past the rest of my issues :P

Now time to test the LiveCD, just for the hell of it...

Comment

I don't get it... what's the point of re-vamping the look of Plasma (it looks amazing now) and keeping the old Qt/KWin theme? Applications don't fit together with the the desktop at ALL, which sucks :/
        I'd rather have it all look like crap, but look like crap together (Motif, anybody?) than have one part be beautiful and one part be "meh".
        The current plasma doesn't handle high-DPI screens well. You get decently-sized (i.e. larger than normal) fonts squashed into a tiny pop-up... or in the case of the virtual keyboard, it fills the screen with ridiculously large keys.

Comment

I knew about the site, but I haven't been keeping tabs. I have to say... if that's what KDE is going to look like, I'm ditching Cinnamon in a heartbeat. KDE's theme(s) was always my biggest issue with it (I'm shallow, I know), so now I just have to work past the rest of my issues :P

Now time to test the LiveCD, just for the hell of it...
          Yeah but how many themes have native versions for Qt4, GTK2, Qt5, and GTK3. Just Oxygen (as far as I know). Though some themes get native GTK versions and a QtCurve theme such as FullFlat2. Though the QtCurve theme never matches the GTK3 theme exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
            Yeah but how many themes have native versions for Qt4, GTK2, Qt5, and GTK3. Just Oxygen (as far as I know). Though some themes get native GTK versions and a QtCurve theme such as FullFlat2. Though the QtCurve theme never matches the GTK3 theme exactly.
            Breeze will be available as a QtCurve config, yes. (It's available right now for testing, in fact.)

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Breeze will be available as a QtCurve config, yes. (It's available right now for testing, in fact.)
              Since those in KDE like visual consistency, I bet Breeze will get a GTK 2 and 3 port. Though, I believe Breeze even lacks a native Qt5 widget theme at this time let alone a native Qt4 version. Though, you brought up a good point as the best part of QtCurve is that it works on Qt4, Qt5, GTK2. It's not perfect but it is much better than nothing.
              Last edited by CTown; 23 May 2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Try booting with 'nomodeset'
                I did, now it boots in lower res, but still doesn't log in - type "liveuser" and "liveuser", hit enter, the screen flickers and gets me back to the login screen.

Which pisses me off since the geniuses at Red Hat didn't bother implementing autologin (not just for KF5, but for Fedora as well), so not only do I have to login each time I boot Fedora, but can't even try out KF5, so thanks to those morons at Red Hat who pretend they're not sure what autologin should do as the excuse to not implement it.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                  Since those in KDE like visual consistency, I bet Breeze will get a GTK 2 and 3 port. Though, I believe Breeze even lacks a native Qt5 widget theme at this time let alone a native Qt4 version. Though, you brought up a good point as the best part of QtCurve is that it works on Qt4, Qt5, GTK2. It's not perfect but it is much better than nothing.
                  Breeze does have a native Qt 5 widget theme, implemented through QML. And yes, QtCurve is not perfect, but an OK compatibility layer.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    I did, now it boots in lower res, but still doesn't log in - type "liveuser" and "liveuser", hit enter, the screen flickers and gets me back to the login screen.
                    This doesn't sound like a login problem, but like X is crashing immediately after you pass the login screen. It could be that Plasma is crashing, or X, or some weird combination of the two -- after all, it is not production ready yet.

Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log for any clues.

Comment

Will KDE5 be in the debian testing/jessie branch before debian testing freezes later this year?..
                      Or am I going to have to wait 1.5 years to use KDE5?..

Comment

Working...
                      X