X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Net non-neutrality is bigger threat than DRM on pay content

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
    It doesn't really matter anyway.

Firefox will start encrypting HTML with EME and the web will go from open source to closed source.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/05...edium=facebook
    It appears that what Mozilla is doing is trying to stay ahead of Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix moving from Flash and Silverlight to HTML5, which by no longer using closed proprietary video players breaks their DRM on open browsers. Mozilla has tried to use this to force them to abandon DRM but failed, now they have to worry about Hollywood being able to kill Firefox. So long as the "CDM" module remains a separate plugin, you can of course refuse to install it or even 127.0.0.1 out the server it comes from. If you are like me and do not care about TV and movie content you can ignore it, and I don't see services like Archive.org and Liveleak going to DRM on their video streaming. Bitorrent sure as hell not if you want movies...

The bigger threat is that the providers of that paid DRM video will be permitted to buy extra bandwidth from the Big Telcos, obtained by taking it away from everyone else. Imagine being told that unless you can get Hulu or Netflix to sell your video and wrap it in DRM, people will have to torrent it all night at dial-up speeds to watch your 5 minute video of anarchists defeating neo-Nazis in a street battle!

I will never distribute my videos with DRM, I would host them on my own box before I would tolerate that. If the bandwidth is gone, however, I then have to distribute them on flash drives or DVD's the way battle videos are distributed in places like rural Pakistan. In environments like Occupy camps mesh networks would sprout if the Internet has been cannibalized for paid content, allowing direct computer-to computer tranmission of news coverage. This is what was done in Tunisia when the former regime tried to shut down the Internet, and there is talk in places like Anonymous of preparing for a future in which mesh networks replace the Big Telcos by necessity, not by choice. Peer to Peer online communication can in fact bypass any Internet that gets redesigned to support only a paid server-client, movie studio and passive movie watcher model.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
      It appears that what Mozilla is doing is trying to stay ahead of Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix moving from Flash and Silverlight to HTML5, which by no longer using closed proprietary video players breaks their DRM on open browsers. Mozilla has tried to use this to force them to abandon DRM but failed, now they have to worry about Hollywood being able to kill Firefox. So long as the "CDM" module remains a separate plugin, you can of course refuse to install it or even 127.0.0.1 out the server it comes from. If you are like me and do not care about TV and movie content you can ignore it, and I don't see services like Archive.org and Liveleak going to DRM on their video streaming. Bitorrent sure as hell not if you want movies...

The bigger threat is that the providers of that paid DRM video will be permitted to buy extra bandwidth from the Big Telcos, obtained by taking it away from everyone else. Imagine being told that unless you can get Hulu or Netflix to sell your video and wrap it in DRM, people will have to torrent it all night at dial-up speeds to watch your 5 minute video of anarchists defeating neo-Nazis in a street battle!

I will never distribute my videos with DRM, I would host them on my own box before I would tolerate that. If the bandwidth is gone, however, I then have to distribute them on flash drives or DVD's the way battle videos are distributed in places like rural Pakistan. In environments like Occupy camps mesh networks would sprout if the Internet has been cannibalized for paid content, allowing direct computer-to computer tranmission of news coverage. This is what was done in Tunisia when the former regime tried to shut down the Internet, and there is talk in places like Anonymous of preparing for a future in which mesh networks replace the Big Telcos by necessity, not by choice. Peer to Peer online communication can in fact bypass any Internet that gets redesigned to support only a paid server-client, movie studio and passive movie watcher model.
      Yeah well it's not too long ago that I remember an open source service where you could put a dish on your roof and connect to a neighbour to get free internet. The idea being that everyone bounces off each other until somewhere someone is connected to a trunk and thus there is a real internet connectivity. If it came to that I could imagine telcos starting a war against it because they already earn huge profits as it is. I won't be surprised if sooner or later, telcos and content providers start marrying each other and becoming like paid TV services like cable TV. So if Mozilla is being pressured to put DRM in their browsers, it won't be long before we see some severely botched up browsers (like ie) that have DRM and advertising crap sprawled through it like a zombie infected city. We already see botched up providers going down that path, but mozilla might just be the start of a new open source browser to end them all. Maybe that's when we all drop windows once and for all. ie because telcos / content providers and software providers are all married in one conglomerate... Youch what a nightmare.
      Last edited by b15hop; 15 May 2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X