Wine 1.7.18 Has Bug-Fixes, New Functions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Whatever happend to that DX9 state tracker for Wine? I know the Wine guys won't have it but that doesn't mean it still can't be working on. I even have CSMT patched and enabled and some games still runs slow.

Work exists -- this blog post is from earlier this year: http://ixit.cz/faster-wine-games-wit...-gallium-nine/

The biggest issue -- and the main reason why it's a pain in the ass to test -- is that it requires a full recompile of your Gallium drivers, which is... not super convenient. Though if you're up for trying it I'd be very curious as to the results.

Of course this likely would not do much good for you if you're running Nvidia. You might get the best results on a 6000 series Radeon running the latest Mesa with Gallium Nine patches.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      That is called a "Virtual machine". Call your sales rep for a presentation.
      No, a "virtual machine" does what I said, but with the entire OS. What I was thinking was a piece of software that only loads the bits and pieces needed to run the application.

Comment

"The bits and pieces needed to run the application" require the Windows kernel, as do the core dlls shipped with Windows. To run the Windows kernel, you need a VM. Only grabbing the output, that is the definition of a VM right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          One thing I've never known is why somebody (Wine maybe?) doesn't make a wine-type "translator" that uses Windows binaries/libraries themselves? Like, if you have a dual-boot setup, you could just point it to your Windows install it it would load an execute the Windows files and just translate the output, instead of translating (then running ) the input.

Is it that it's not allowed in some license thing of Microsoft? I assume if it's installed on your computer it's legal to use those binaries to run Windows programs, no?

I assume this would use more resources than Wine, as you're loading up a large part of the Windows OS, but I feel like it could lead to performance benefits (for those with the hardware to use it in the first place) and more bug-free running of Windows things.
          Apart from the fact that, as someone mentioned, the Windows binaries/libraries make system calls to the Windows kernel, which Wine doesn't really have (though there is a small ntoskrnl.exe for copy protection drivers), there is the serious issue that Wine would have to read/write files and the Windows registry on your Windows partition, and so any bug could easily corrupt your Windows application, registry and the system in general.

The fact virtually all Windows applications use the registry also means you cannot install on Windows and then copy the files into Wine and run the application there, as the registry entries will be missing (and there's no way to know where they all are).

Comment

Working...
          X