Firefox 29.0 For Linux Is Now Available For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by strcat View Post
    I haven't seen any numbers showing either browser consumes less CPU or has faster JavaScript. I know Firefox causes more CPU wake ups than Chromium on my machine, but that's just anecdotal and may not be the same across all hardware / environments. Mozilla's own numbers have no clear winner.
    In my particular experience Google Maps and Launchpad were extremely slow-performing in Firefox on Linux. Since I was doing Google Maps development I moved over to Chromium.

I mean GM is horrific in Firefox on my two systems, and I know the LP issue was pinged by an nvidia engineer as being a FF issue.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
      Hopefully, you realize that the new interface is highly customizable, which was one of the key points of the new UI. Furthermore, the UI change is almost unnoticable beyond the rounded tabs. Complaining just to complain makes the silliest arguments.
      As I have stated several times now: The UI change breaks my setup and it is impossible to configure it back to the way it was, even using the plugin recommended earlier in this thread. If you call that "complaining just to complain" I can't take you serious, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        As I have stated several times now: The UI change breaks my setup and it is impossible to configure it back to the way it was, even using the plugin recommended earlier in this thread. If you call that "complaining just to complain" I can't take you serious, sorry.
        I used to love Vimperator back when it was actively developed and very polished. The functionality keeps being degraded by each Firefox upgrade since it's not (and can't be) built with the stable extension API (Jetpack). These days, there are very visible flaws in even the basic features like search... you're almost better off with one of the Chromium extensions despite them being drastically limited by the extension API + sandboxing. Since that advantage was lost, there was nothing left to keep me using an insecure browser (no sandboxing at all... and no I don't mean multi-processing) with poor concurrency (a single site running a long loop in JavaScript is still enough to stall the entire browser...).

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          Thinking about it, wouldn't it be easier on Firefox devs to use Qt in the end? I mean, they currently use Windows and OSx's native toolkits and GTK+ on Linux, right? That's 3 separate toolkits... if they just took the time to port their code over to Qt, it would handle the multi-OS look for them, so they'd only have to bother with Qt code and not Windows, OSx, and GTK+ code.

Didn't I hear something recently about a new project picking up porting Firefox to Qt? If so, I'd like to donate.
          There is a reason Google Chrome also uses GTK+ and not Qt. Think on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            There's an abstraction layer within the browsers to support the native toolkits on different platforms. On OS X, that means using Cocoa as the underlying toolkit and on Linux they decided to use GTK+ since it was (is) more popular for Linux applications and the goal was seamless integration. This only applies to a subset of Linux, since neither browser uses GTK+ on Android and Chrome uses Aura on ChromeOS. They're switching away from GTK+ to Aura on non-ChromeOS Linux too.

Firefox pre-dated the modern cross-platform Qt, and GTK+ is not a realistic option for a seamless cross-platform experience. It would have made sense for Chromium to use Qt instead of using a different toolkit on each platform, but it's too late for that as they have their own toolkit now.
            Last edited by strcat; 30 April 2014, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
              Of course - because all interface changes after a piece of software is in production should be optional. Change whatever you want, but the default interface for the user should stay the same unless that user chooses to enable the new look.
              Then you'll have people complaining that Firefox looks old because they didn't realise that they could alter the appearance. You can't please everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by strcat View Post
                I used to love Vimperator back when it was actively developed and very polished. The functionality keeps being degraded by each Firefox upgrade since it's not (and can't be) built with the stable extension API (Jetpack). These days, there are very visible flaws in even the basic features like search...
                I use Pentadactyl, not Vimperator. Pentadactyl is still developed and I couldn't notice any degradation.
                you're almost better off with one of the Chromium extensions despite them being drastically limited by the extension API + sandboxing.
                Those addond are useless to me, since they don't even have a quarter of the functionality of Pentadactyl, which includes missing functions that are essential for me. Simply put: Vrome/Vimium compared to Pentadactyl/Vimperator are like comparing the nano text editor with Vim or Emacs.

Comment

I want:
                  + better non GNOME based DE support eg. Razor-Qt, KDE
                  + the ability to move nearly every button in the URL bar (like with the update page button since 2.x or 3.x)
                  + a Qt port would be also nice, but I think this would be like a rewrite in many parts

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    If I understood your problem correctly you could maybe use firefox ERS build until october and look if the plugins you use are then compatible with v29. maybe this helps. just want to help

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      which?

Comment

Working...
                      X