Firefox 29.0 For Linux Is Now Available For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    I won't be complaining since I knew about the "Classic Theme Restorer (Customize Australis)" extension before Australis even landed in Aurora.
    Thanks. Took only a few clicks and everything important is back to normal. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      Somebody doesn't understand how UI design works

As somebody using Australlis for a few months now, I feel I am qualified to say the update wasn't just "for change's sake". It made Firefox wayyy nicer to use, which is... ya know... the point of it...
      The only thing I'm waiting for now is about:Preferences becoming the default over the preferences pop-up, and for about:addons to use the about:Preferences CSS
      Yeah, and because it works for you it must work for anyone else and be the top of the line of UI design, for sure. As I said above, I don't care how it looks and works, but they have made it less customizable and broke how I use my browser totally. That is for me not acceptable, if I would want a browser that looks and work like Chrome I would fucking use Chrome, not Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
        Vimperator is listed on the Seamonkey add-on page.
        ???
        Nope, it isn't:

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          >... gamepad api

OMG. Does anybody still remember the roots of FF? It was a kind of uncoupling the browser part from the Mozilla suite because the latter was too huge and so on blah blah. FF got added more and more stuff that contradicts this nicely. Featuritis and "kaputt-fixing" things seem to be a bigh fashion nowadays. It is okay to fix things and have some improvements but FF is going into the wrong direction for quite some time now.
          Of course somebody will tell me now that we need a gamepad API for all the webgl games that you can play... probably on some kind of facebook.

They should fix the slowness of java script handling, better 64bit support and multicore. And disable not just Java but Flash by default if they are going to switch off plugins by default at all.

Written from a Seamonkey with the same old "modern" user interface since the dawn of time. Lots of options visible even without digging through about:config.
          It just works and gets the job done.
          PS: No, I do not want to use a google browser. Even if it is faster in doing that pesky java script.
          Flash is disabled by default, and 64-bit support? Isn't Firefox on Linux fully 64-bit? Even on Windows, users can use Waterfox for 64-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Yeah, and because it works for you it must work for anyone else and be the top of the line of UI design, for sure. As I said above, I don't care how it looks and works, but they have made it less customizable and broke how I use my browser totally. That is for me not acceptable, if I would want a browser that looks and work like Chrome I would fucking use Chrome, not Firefox.
            No UI will ever work perfectly for everybody. My point was that Australis wasn't just "change for the sake of change", it was meant to improve the user experience for _most_ of their users. Any issues you have about addons or the UI itself can be brought to the attention of the devs respectively.

Lets also remember that Devs (the ones who needed to, at least) have had the ability to write their addons to be compatible with Australis for several months now. It didn't break THAT much compatibility (many issues are caused by the update to the SDK, not Australis itself).
            Also, I see a lot of people claiming it made it "less customizable", but I really don't see that. They took away two things (tabs on bottom and the addon bar), both of which should be available via addons soon enough. And one would think a customizable menu would be considered "more customizable"...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your (or anybody else's) issues with the new UI are not justified, I'm just saying sitting here complaining on a forum isn't going to do anything. If you want your issues fixed, you're going to have to go tell the devs and get something done about it to work with the new UI, since it's not going away.

P.S. I think I remember hearing something about the possibility of re-adding the addon bar in future versions. AFAIK it was mostly removed because it was incompatible with the new XUL code used for Australis, then left out because the devs realized they didn't "need" it.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
              Flash is disabled by default, and 64-bit support? Isn't Firefox on Linux fully 64-bit? Even on Windows, users can use Waterfox for 64-bit.
              Firefox is available in 32-bit and 64-bit on Linux, 64-bit on OSx, and 32-bit on Windows (officially).
              Firefox can be compiled to 64-bit for Windows with a few modifications, but it was found to be non-beneficial in almost every way (Bigger binary size, more RAM and CPU usage, and requires FF devs to make sure every patch works in both 32 and 64 bit compiles).

Heck, I think the only reason I use the 64-bit version on Linux is because "multi-arch" is barely a thing here an the 32-bit version won't start properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                They took away two things (tabs on bottom and the addon bar), both of which should be available via addons soon enough.

[snip]

P.S. I think I remember hearing something about the possibility of re-adding the addon bar in future versions. AFAIK it was mostly removed because it was incompatible with the new XUL code used for Australis, then left out because the devs realized they didn't "need" it.
                This sounds exactly like it could have happened in Gnome development: "Hey, let us take that away, we don't need it, so no ones else will need it!"
                But you are right, I should file a bug report against the Australis interface for breaking usability.

Comment

Hmmmm....
                  Now it looks just like Chrome.

Chrome:
                  * Multi-threaded. Doesn't lock up because of badly behaving javascript.
                  * Negative. Saves every single file that you want to look at to your downloads folder.

Firefox
                  ummmm... just the temporary files thing.
                  They got rid of how I liked tabs (on bottom).

Time for me to check out Opera I guess.... see if I like it.

Comment

Ahhhh.... ad-ons
                    My salvation.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      ???
                      Nope, it isn't:
                      Ah, review section.

In that case, you should approach the development team of either project and make a case for them to port your favourite add-on to Seamonkey.

Or you can stop bitching and do it yourself, that's the great thing about open source.

Comment

Working...
                      X