Firefox 29.0 For Linux Is Now Available For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    in an attempt to look like Chrome without any reason.
    Mozilla started doing UI research back in 3.x days and came up with all the mockups of this so-called "Chrome-like" look. Chrome implemented it first, but Mozilla was the first who invented this all.

My setup with Pentadactyl
    Pentadactyl is deprecated. Its premise was your typical case of NIH ? as quickly as the headstrong devs who forked Vimperator lost their interest, it's no longer updated for newer versions of Firefox. The published versions of Pentadactyl on AMO waited 2 years between 2012-2014 that Firefox 14-24 were not supported for goodness' sake.

Just use Vimperator. It's still actively developed and updated. Using it here now without any issues.

Comment

I suspect Chrome is going to pick up market share in the near future. Which is probably a good thing since it's technically superior to Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by quenlinlom View Post
        Pentadactyl is deprecated. Its premise was your typical case of NIH ? as quickly as the headstrong devs who forked Vimperator lost their interest, it's no longer updated for newer versions of Firefox. The published versions of Pentadactyl on AMO waited 2 years between 2012-2014 that Firefox 14-24 were not supported for goodness' sake.
        Ah, that must be the reason why I could use nightly build for any new version of Firefox. And why there are still made commits to their source repo. And why it works with Firefox 29, but not my whole setup of
        Pentadactyl, Tree Style Tab and the Addon bar in the bottom right
        (Yes, quoting out of context can be a bitch.)

Regarding the Chrome-like UI: You are seriously telling me that they needed at least 26 versions to change to a design that they researched, but is used by the competition for a long time now? That the changes they made to the UI before 29 were all just for fun, because they would be replaced anyways? That makes the fuck up even bigger!
        But anyways, I couldn't care less about the standard look, but if a change in the UI destroys how I work with the browser without the possibility to change it back (even the Gnome people learned that that is a no-go) then I care.
        Seems to me that I have to have a look at inferior, but still usable solutions, again, maybe dwb or luakit.

Comment

>... gamepad api

OMG. Does anybody still remember the roots of FF? It was a kind of uncoupling the browser part from the Mozilla suite because the latter was too huge and so on blah blah. FF got added more and more stuff that contradicts this nicely. Featuritis and "kaputt-fixing" things seem to be a bigh fashion nowadays. It is okay to fix things and have some improvements but FF is going into the wrong direction for quite some time now.
          Of course somebody will tell me now that we need a gamepad API for all the webgl games that you can play... probably on some kind of facebook.

They should fix the slowness of java script handling, better 64bit support and multicore. And disable not just Java but Flash by default if they are going to switch off plugins by default at all.

Written from a Seamonkey with the same old "modern" user interface since the dawn of time. Lots of options visible even without digging through about:config.
          It just works and gets the job done.
          PS: No, I do not want to use a google browser. Even if it is faster in doing that pesky java script.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            I suspect Chrome is going to pick up market share in the near future. Which is probably a good thing since it's technically superior to Firefox.
            If it would allow the same amount of customization previous Firefox versions had and if it would offer plugins like Pentadactyl (and no, Vrome and Vimium don't even have a quarter of its capabilities) I would switch instantly. Maybe they should just switch roles, now that they look similar.

Comment

Originally posted by quenlinlom View Post
              Mozilla started doing UI research back in 3.x days and came up with all the mockups of this so-called "Chrome-like" look. Chrome implemented it first, but Mozilla was the first who invented this all.
              I find that entirely plausible and have read it numerous times, but could you perchance give a link? I imagine those mockups weren't called Australis until much later so Googling is sort of hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                If it would allow the same amount of customization previous Firefox versions had and if it would offer plugins like Pentadactyl (and no, Vrome and Vimium don't even have a quarter of its capabilities) I would switch instantly. Maybe they should just switch roles, now that they look similar.
                I began using Chromium because the JS and overall performance seemed to be better on Linux, but still used Firefox out of habit. But after working a bit with the Australis interface it kind of seemed to me that if Firefox was going for the Chrome-like minimalist interface, I might as well just use Chromium and pick up all the other benefits of sandboxing and performance. So I'll be dumping Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  >Of course somebody will tell me now that we need a gamepad API for all the webgl games that you can play... probably on some kind of facebook.
                  It's for FFOS, their firefox mobile phone operating system.

Like it or not, a decent amount of work is going into Firefox for that project, on items that are of somewhat questionable use to desktop users. I think the hope is eventually it may be useful for webgl games on the desktop too, but that's not why it's being added.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    Let the butt-hurt commence!

(But in all seriousness, I expect to see a shit-ton of complaints for the next month or two... long enough for people to realize the UI change didn't screw them over...)
                    Previous UI was so ugly I couldn't look at Firefox, with this new one I switched back from Chromium. So I might say it's very nice.
                    RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by sobkas View Post
                      Previous UI was so ugly I couldn't look at Firefox, with this new one I switched back from Chromium. So I might say it's very nice.
                      I'd to say I like this new UI in general.
                      However the reload button is too small to use, so I picked "Classic Theme Restorer" to get it back.

Comment

Working...
                      X