Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 29.0 For Linux Is Now Available For Download

Phoronix: Firefox 29.0 For Linux Is Now Available For Download

While we're still waiting on the official release announcement, Mozilla Firefox 29.0 is now available for download...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let the butt-hurt commence!

(But in all seriousness, I expect to see a shit-ton of complaints for the next month or two... long enough for people to realize the UI change didn't screw them over...)

Comment

Things I am missing from Firefox:
      • Wayland support
      • GTK+ 3 support
      • Input type support for the 'date' and 'datetime' data types
      • Syntax highlighting for JavaScript, JSON and CSS files
      • Line numbering for JavaScript, JSON and CSS files

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        • Wayland support
        • GTK+ 3 support
        id especially like to see the first 2.

Comment

And they still haven't fixed the pretty huge bug that Firefox doesn't honor directory permission when downloading files.

It's been broken since at least FF24...

Comment

This is completely subjective but release 29 feels faster to me than 28 did. Perhaps it's the new user interface?

Looking at resolved bugs tagged with release 29 might be useful for figuring out all the changes here:

Comment

Originally posted by paintbynumbers View Post
              This is completely subjective but release 29 feels faster to me than 28 did. Perhaps it's the new user interface?

Looking at resolved bugs tagged with release 29 might be useful for figuring out all the changes here:
              https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist...e=Firefox%2029
              The theme on windows uses no transparency or a different kind of transparency which uses less gpu resources. So maybe it is that? Also the new theme has more animations.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                • Wayland support
                • GTK+ 3 support
                Last two are already there in the developer tools (at least in Nightly).

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

(But in all seriousness, I expect to see a shit-ton of complaints for the next month or two... long enough for people to realize the UI change didn't screw them over...)
                  I won't be complaining since I knew about the "Classic Theme Restorer (Customize Australis)" extension before Australis even landed in Aurora.

For the most part, Australis just formalizes Chrome-like tweaks I'd already had for years via add-ons and XUL Userstyles. However, I need the extension to restore the add-on bar (Ctrl+/ for the win) and the bring back the real (not a popup toolbar for touchscreens) menu with a built-in keyboard shortcut reference.

(The whole point of the WIMP (Windows, Icons, Menus, Pointer) GUI paradigm is to make things discoverable. Any HCI (Human-Computer Interaction, a superset of UI/UX design) textbook will tell you that. By making it harder to discover keyboard shortcuts, Firefox's toolbar-style menu is objectively worse at its core purpose.)
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 28 April 2014, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Indeed, they have just made the last usable browser unusable in an attempt to look like Chrome without any reason. My setup with Pentadactyl, Tree Style Tab and the Addon bar in the bottom right does not work anymore.
                    And no, the Classic Theme Restorer plugin does not help.

THANK YOU MOZILLA FOR FUCKING UP BIG TIME!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X