KDE 4.13 Is Being Released Today With New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
    My understanding is that this is a limitation of the UI, the config itself can both white and black list.
    I doubt that the UI will stay as minimalistic as it is now though.

Cheers,
    _
    I've heard the same, but it's no consolation as there's no reason to think anyone will ever include these options in the UI, or at least no reason to think they'll do it any time soon. This isn't killing me or anything, but is a major annoyance.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
      I've heard the same, but it's no consolation as there's no reason to think anyone will ever include these options in the UI, or at least no reason to think they'll do it any time soon. This isn't killing me or anything, but is a major annoyance.
      Maybe.
      I am somewhat optimistic that the UI will be improved for 4.14

Cheers,
      _

Comment

Originally posted by daedaluz View Post
        Searching "baloo kde" in google once again returns results where people are asking how to disable it on front page.
        That's because some people are too stupid to let it just index stuff for a while. Spotlight has to build an index first, Thunderbird does, and GNU Findutils not only requires initial indexing but regular re-indexing as well.

The time those idiot spend to find out how to disable it, could just as easily be spend letting the PC index the files because once it's done, Nepomuk 2 and now Baloo have zero impact on performance.

I don't know any other backup/indexing software that works like this. They all WHITELIST.
        Spotlight on OSX uses blacklists: http://images.sayzlim.net/2010/11/spotlight_privacy.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
          Maybe.
          I am somewhat optimistic that the UI will be improved for 4.14

Cheers,
          _
          I thought 4.13 was the last 4.x version until Frameworks 5 comes out.

Comment

That would be the opposite of one of the main goals of Frameworks 5, i.e. to decouple releases of the frameworks from releases of the applications.

Basically a repetition of the KDE 4.0 situation, where already ported applications needed to hold back because others had not finished porting yet.

Given the shortened release cycle it would be overly optimistic that all applications, including their domain specific libraries, could be ported in the available time for a frameworks based release instead of KDE SC 4.14

I doubt that all application developer have already started porting, I am pretty sure some will wait for the KF5 release and maybe even do a Qt4 based feature release after that if they have already invested time in new things.

KDE SC 4.14 is quite a safe bet given that there is already a draft schedule for it http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KD...lease_Schedule
            And I wouldn't be surprised if there was a 4.15 afterwards.

Cheers,
            _

Comment

KF5 only means that the applications can now be ported in a relatively safe manner. The apps are expected to be ported last.

Comment

Favorites Launcher

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                In KDE 4.11 I had the favourite's menu in mouse actions and I loved it. In 4.12 they removed this feature
                I hope it is back now.
                The Favorites Launcher is not part of the KDE release, but a third party add on. Either install it from source, or ask your distribution to offer packages.

Comment

Working...
                X