Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magika View Post
    It was there for a quite time https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=324975
    Yea, that happened in openSUSE 13.1 RC, but it was fixed shortly after. Not sure which method they used, though.

Comment

While slightly on-topic, I thought 4.12 was supposed to be the last KDE4 branch release with "long-term support" status so that KDE FW5 gets full attention, so seeing KDE 4.13 release announcement is a bit weird. I finally gave up on KDE on 4.10 after tryng my very best to like it for many releases and hoping devs of core things like indexing manage to fix it. Simply not usable on so many levels and beyond fixing. Seeing how people in this thread are still keeping nepomuk and akonadi disabled and now are apparently starting new battle with something called baloo doesn't really assure that KDE4 is usable. So waiting on FW5 in hopes it will be the desktop KDE4 promised.

Comment

Originally posted by daedaluz View Post
        While slightly on-topic, I thought 4.12 was supposed to be the last KDE4 branch release with "long-term support" status so that KDE FW5 gets full attention, so seeing KDE 4.13 release announcement is a bit weird.
        Misunderstandings like that happen when one uses "KDE" for meaning one thing in one article and another thing in another instead of referring to the respective product correctly.

The thing about 4.12 being the long term support branch was referring to the KDE Plasma Desktop, a desktop workspace product created by KDE.

In this article KDE is supposedly used to refer to the KDE software compliation, a set of software products created by KDE bundled into a single release.
        Some products contained in the bundle might have seen different forms of development since the last release of the bundle.

As a different example, a new release of a distribution will most often include new versions of its packages, but some packages only differ at patch release version level, i.e. not having seen any feature development since the last distribution release.

Cheers,
        _

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
          It was there for a quite time https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=324975
          Still is in upstream KDE I think, the KDE developers were too busy arguing over the most elegant solution to actually fix it. (OpenSUSE have their own fix for it which makes it impossible to configure the volume of system sounds for non-PulseAudio users.)

Comment

While slightly on-topic, I thought 4.12 was supposed to be the last KDE4 branch release with "long-term support" status so that KDE FW5 gets full attention, so seeing KDE 4.13 release announcement is a bit weird.
            KDE Frameworks and Desktop (Plasma) are in bug-fix mode while they focus on FW5/Plasma2.

KDE Applications, however, were encouraged to keep focusing on the 4.13 release. Now that it's out, i suspect most of them will also switch their main focus over to Qt5/FW5.

I finally gave up on KDE on 4.10 after tryng my very best to like it for many releases and hoping devs of core things like indexing manage to fix it. Simply not usable on so many levels and beyond fixing. Seeing how people in this thread are still keeping nepomuk and akonadi disabled and now are apparently starting new battle with something called baloo doesn't really assure that KDE4 is usable. So waiting on FW5 in hopes it will be the desktop KDE4 promised.
            If there's that many things you don't like, then fine. You probably just aren't going to like it. But it's strange that you seem to think baloo is something bad, considering that it's whole reason for existence was to fix the bad nepomuk/indexing experience you were complaining about.

Comment

In KDE 4.11 I had the favourite's menu in mouse actions and I loved it. In 4.12 they removed this feature
              I hope it is back now.

Comment

Damn...why I cant install KDE on SteamOS and setting to default instead of GNOME?!

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  KDE Frameworks and Desktop (Plasma) are in bug-fix mode while they focus on FW5/Plasma2.

KDE Applications, however, were encouraged to keep focusing on the 4.13 release. Now that it's out, i suspect most of them will also switch their main focus over to Qt5/FW5.

If there's that many things you don't like, then fine. You probably just aren't going to like it. But it's strange that you seem to think baloo is something bad, considering that it's whole reason for existence was to fix the bad nepomuk/indexing experience you were complaining about.
                  Thanks for clarifying. There is nothing bad about trying to fix things, yet it is odd that baloo is offered as drop-in solution to nepomuk while it really is not drop-in and looking at comments its ability to fix problems is also questionable at this point. Searching "baloo kde" in google once again returns results where people are asking how to disable it on front page.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying. There is nothing bad about trying to fix things, yet it is odd that baloo is offered as drop-in solution to nepomuk while it really is not drop-in and looking at comments its ability to fix problems is also questionable at this point. Searching "baloo kde" in google once again returns results where people are asking how to disable it on front page.
                    My main gripe with Baloo isn't that there's no obvious option for disabling it, but that there's no obvious way of whitelisting folders for indexing. Instead they've gone with a blacklist which is super annoying, where the home folder is indexed by default. I have only a few folders I want indexed so I have to blacklist everything except these folders. I don't know any other backup/indexing software that works like this. They all WHITELIST.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                      My main gripe with Baloo isn't that there's no obvious option for disabling it, but that there's no obvious way of whitelisting folders for indexing. Instead they've gone with a blacklist which is super annoying, where the home folder is indexed by default. I have only a few folders I want indexed so I have to blacklist everything except these folders. I don't know any other backup/indexing software that works like this. They all WHITELIST.
                      My understanding is that this is a limitation of the UI, the config itself can both white and black list.
                      I doubt that the UI will stay as minimalistic as it is now though.

Cheers,
                      _

Comment

Working...
                      X