The Very Exciting GNOME 3.12 Has Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    They don't need to reinvent themselves but how about getting their port away from legacy technologies (GTK2 etc.) done? The situation is currently so bad, the "enterprise-grade" 14.04 LTS release of Xubuntu will ship a snapshot of Xfce's 4.11 development branch because there is simply no new Xfce version since 2012!
    I don't consider that a bad thing. XFCE is now stable and well tested. Besides from keeping up with the latest librarie's, there is nothing much to do.

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    The LXDE port to a whole new toolkit (Qt) makes better progress than Xfce?s port to simply a new version of GTK?
    LXDE is currently a lot less usable than XFCE.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
      What is really silly is showing a DE with such a poor rendering all the time. If a better one is available (and it definitely is), not using it is beyond silly.
      one would guess you don't see whole picture. some font rendering tweaks are patent problematic and any distro that wants to be free can't enable those by default.
      i'm seriously hoping glyphy could be implemented as default rendering http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tHv6mcIIeo beats anything i saw by miles. 3d requirement might be a problem though. and i think it is not patent problematic at all

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        one would guess you don't see whole picture. some font rendering tweaks are patent problematic and any distro that wants to be free can't enable those by default.
        i'm seriously hoping glyphy could be implemented as default rendering http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tHv6mcIIeo beats anything i saw by miles. 3d requirement might be a problem though. and i think it is not patent problematic at all
        We can only hope that won't be much of an issue in a few months, at least in the U.S. But that remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by tuubi View Post
          Well I certainly can. For one, it's an excellent DE. All of the doom-and-gloom about new-fangled features and plumbing it might not support in the future isn't really a good reason to switch away right now. Especially to something that's under heavy refactoring and development. I need my tools to be efficient and functional, not cool and shiny.

I might well have to migrate to something else in the future, but for now Xfce does it's job just fine and all of it's dependencies are still available on modern distributions.
          agreed.
          But wasn?t there talk about Debian switching from default Gnome to default XFCE in their next release? Would they really do that if the project were dead? Because then they would have to switch the default again for their next release. That makes no sense. Look at Win8, how many people are angry about the switch to a different DE (Metro). Debian switched from Gnome2 to Gnome 3 to XFCE to ...?
          Maany angry people... otherwise.... compared to Win8 it is still at least possible to switch to another DE, so maybe thats what makes Debian confident in being so switch-happy... but all the work and maintenance that comes with this... they could focus more...

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            But wasn?t there talk about Debian switching from default Gnome to default XFCE in their next release?
            They did decide to switch, but I'm pretty sure that was always supposed to be only until the whole Gnome 3/systemd thing got resolved. Gnome packaging in Debian became problematic for a while due to new dependencies, but I'd guess these problems went (or will go) away now that the distro is adopting systemd.

Comment

Working...
            X