Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma Next Getting Better Logos & Icons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    I like what I see but for me it's a case of focusing on the tree and missing the forest. At least it's good to know that KDE does in fact have a Visual Design group.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Kostas View Post
      I like what I see but for me it's a case of focusing on the tree and missing the forest. At least it's good to know that KDE does in fact have a Visual Design group.
      Just what exactly do you think they should be doing differently? Keep in mind that if you're basing your opinion off of the current oxygen theme that this new theme they're designing to be the default has absolutely nothing to do with the oxygen styling.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        I've got mixed feelings on this personally, feels to me like they're taking far too many cues from Metro which is a style I really don't care for
        I see more iOS 7 there than Metro. Can't say I'm a fan of monochrome icons but I?ll wait and see.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Kostas View Post
          I like what I see but for me it's a case of focusing on the tree and missing the forest. At least it's good to know that KDE does in fact have a Visual Design group.
          This group is new, and for KDE5. If you think they are missing something, please go tell them. The forums are quite open to user suggestions, as long as you are willing to back them up with concrete examples and not just trolling.

          Comment


          • #15
            The small icons for status are already part of GNOME.

            The analog clock is nice. Now dump Plasma.

            The side bar is a duplicate of Files. The only difference is the header icons that duplicate the minimalist icons in Files.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              This group is new, and for KDE5.
              Not quite. KDE5 doesn't exist. This is for Plasma Next.

              Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              The small icons for status are already part of GNOME.

              The analog clock is nice. Now dump Plasma.

              The side bar is a duplicate of Files. The only difference is the header icons that duplicate the minimalist icons in Files.
              What does that have to do with anything?

              If they "dump Plasma", then they also dump the analog clock Plasma is the graphical UI of KDE, just like GNOME Shell is for GNOME. They can't drop it because otherwise there won't be much left.

              The side bar is Dolphin, and it was there before Files even existed.

              Comment


              • #17
                Dumping Plasma

                Why would the KDE project dump Plasma at this point? It definitely had its warts during the KDE 4.x series but it is being redone for the KDE 5 SC releases. Plasma was and is very innovative and because of this the initial implementation had some rough points. Plasma Workspaces 2 should fix most of the bottlenecks that the technology has had to this point. It will also allow the KDE project to have their own tablet, phone, touch, desktop, and media center UI's while reusing most of the same code.

                I'm very excited about the KDE 5 projects because they are taking many of the ambitious ideas that they implemented during the KDE4 series and refining them into even better and more useful projects and versions in the future. Akonadi is being redone a bit and the lessons learned from the KDE implementation of NEPOMUK has resulted in a Baloo. I'm looking forward to great things to come for KDE this year.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Kostas View Post
                  I like what I see but for me it's a case of focusing on the tree and missing the forest.
                  The icons are just one of many different things they are working on.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                    Aww...I love the old, colorful icons. It's one of the things that originally drew me to KDE. I hope the leave the old theme as an option.
                    Nothing ever really dies in KDE. You can still install the old KDE2 era icons if you like. After half a decade it might get moved to an optional download through the hot-new-stuff api.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      Keep in mind that if you're basing your opinion off of the current oxygen theme that this new theme they're designing to be the default has absolutely nothing to do with the oxygen styling.
                      Any links to either extensive screenshots or at least design mock-ups?

                      Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      This group is new, and for KDE5.
                      Quite interesting.

                      Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                      Just what exactly do you think they should be doing differently?
                      Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      If you think they are missing something, please go tell them. The forums are quite open to user suggestions, as long as you are willing to back them up with concrete examples and not just trolling.
                      I realize the tone was a bit troll-ish but I'm simply one of the many people who think KDE's style looks absolutely terrible (I mainly have the DE and the various famous KDE apps in mind) but the tales of good, mature and clean code (to the best of my knowledge, no such thing exists on the GTK side of the fence) make me wish it had something resembling competent design.

                      Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      The icons are just one of many different things they are working on.
                      Emphasis on the many I guess. I've seen quite a few KDE people reluctantly admit that the icons may not be the best but everything else is just fine which was IMO absurd.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X