Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up GNOME Is Easier With Version 3.12

Phoronix: Setting Up GNOME Is Easier With Version 3.12

One of the GNOME 3.12 features not yet talked about on Phoronix is the new gnome-initial-setup for easy first-run configuration options of the GNOME desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whats the latest on actually running shell under wayland? Is it possible to go completely X-less from gdm to the gnome apps?

Comment

Gnome 3.12 looks pretty good. Visually better than the ugliness of Unity 7 and the clutterness of KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Truth is that drivers and wayland is not ready yet. This might change before Gnome 3.14, but initial support at 3.12.0 release day will not be that great.
        The wayland protocol is pretty much ready. The compositors aren't. Gnome 3.10 works great with the Wayland Preview.
        To start it it does require you to have X11 with XWayland support installed even if you don't start a legacy app.

Gnome 3.10 has initial Wayland support and hit the Arch Linux repositories lately, time to give it a try! The gnome packages are available with Wayland support, namely gnome-shell (which includes the gnome-shell-wayland binary) and mutter-wayland. But I soon realized, that running Gnome on Wayland using Arch is not possible without some work: Firing up mutter-launch with the gnome-shell-way ...

Works with Intel Hardware for other open source drive you need the wl-glamor ddx.

Comment

Wayland and HiDPI

The only thing I look forward is Wayland and HiDPI support in Wayland.
          The other GNOME changes seem rather stupid.

Comment

You are *BSD guy right? Gnome BSD porters fixed like 130 bugs on Gnome and freedesktop components, and identified at least 20 on FreeBSD. I would find such an endevour quite non-stupid if I cared about *BSD. More fixes might hit the 3.12 release.
            https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Jhbuild/FreeBSD
            No, I use Linux.

I like the technical advancements of GNOME.
            But not the design changes, such as Nautilus, Gedit, etc. Seems like things getting retarded.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
              Gnome 3.12 looks pretty good. Visually better than the ugliness of Unity 7 and the clutterness of KDE.
              It's just your opinion, ok. I have a different one and in my opinion gnomes 3 looks much worse than Unity 7 and is usability nightmare compared to KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
                visually good? i guess you treat blank screen like piece of art then? i used gnome all the way from beginning and right now both unity and KDE seem like 7th wonder compared to useless crap gnome is becoming with insane design choices. i just need to decide which one i pick, since my switching to cinnamon seems like temporary solution which is now hampered with the fact cinnamon doesn't come with full app stack and new gnome apps look completely out of picture there

Comment

The cinnamon development have gone south since December 2013. The marketing flash is gone, the sponsors are gone, there is no more fork4fame. It was fun and very learning to see a one man army troll thousands of people. Nobody sane would ever believe this was sustainable. The cinamon dude's strategy was to say yes to every user request. He ended up maintaining more than 10 million LOCs he didn't know and still make a decent salary. Good for him, but this fairy tale ended i 2013.
                  at least he did some good. and what he was doing was better than 3 gnome people pretending they know how to design efficient desktop and troll whole community with their insanity. gnome has nothing but total copy/paste usability nightmare where they copy certain features from some softwares without even thinking if that makes any sense. those features made sense where they were copied from, but don't make any sense how they were copied and where

gnome has become from best to absolutely worst interface in last 1.5 years.

Comment

I doubt that. Cinnamon went nowhere. No one wants to continue development or even fork it. This was code that went nowhere. Let it rest in peace.
                    hmm, based that i said... "i used gnome all the way from beginning and right now both unity and KDE seem like 7th wonder compared to useless crap gnome is becoming with insane design choices. i just need to decide which one i pick, since my switching to cinnamon seems like temporary solution which is now hampered with the fact cinnamon doesn't come with full app stack...". i wonder who is not letting it rest in peace

either way, currently Enlightenment or KDE seem most promising to switch to for me. neither one is hampering non-DE applications and both came as usability efficient desktops. and new distro of my choice only needs to fulfil 2 conditions. systemd+good virtualization and possibility of install without single gnome trace. hell, i'm even porting all my apps from gtk to qt. so, yea my hatred for gnome has grown to extreme

Comment

Working...
                    X