Setting Up GNOME Is Easier With Version 3.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honton View Post
    Yeah. Gnome3 (>3.6) will be the default desktops for SLE12 and RHEL7. If you don't like that, I think your strategy is very good. Rewrite everthing and go target Unity and Blackberries too! Please go ahead and do it now.
    lol, what a joke you are. but, let me bite on this one.

now explain this.
    - your enterprise desktop will need some office software. do you seriously expect that LibreOffice folks will redefine extra Gnome UI (sorry, abiword and gnumeric are toys)? nope, they will target same UI to work on all OS platforms
    - your enterprise desktop will surely need Firefox or Chrome (sorry, epiphany doesn't cut it). will those 2 do extra Gnome UI? nope, they will target same UI to work on all OS platforms
    - there is wine, qt... and other apps that you need for enterprise desktop (calling it enterprise doesn't make it so). no cross platform app will ever adopt standard from almost non present DE to alienate >99% of possible buyers and making extra UI is simply too expensive. it's simply better to ignore that <1% and focus elsewhere. enterprise desktop is more than being done by enterprise company, it also means other enterprises are adopting it too

now, how is this enterprise level of desktop when basics of use and feel change from app to app.and doing nothing but leave end user confused? so far you didn't make any compelling argument beside ignorance (kinda consistent with gnome devs)
    Last edited by justmy2cents; 18 March 2014, 03:39 PM.

Comment

That is the problem right now. There is no common UX for desktop linux. And the last 15 years proved it was never meant to be. So everybody do what they find to be the best option. And I have no trouble pointing you in the direction of Ubuntu or Blackberries because I care about what I find to be the best option. Gnome is the only desktop offering design driven development, sane enterprise partners and a clear stance against CLA tyranny. The remaining desktops does not offer this.

Does the Gnome app UX fit everyone?
      Does the Gnome app UX cover every need?
      Does the Gnome app UX offers any guideance for complicated apps?

No. Not yet. But I can live with that for now, because I know the other desktops will fail.
      KDE, enlightenment... force you in CLA? @.@' since when? btw, enlightenment is probably furthest with your previously mentioned Wayland support

not yet? lol, when then? in year 2946? and who will write gnome specific apps? you expect gnome will create all software? i know i surely won't and so won't any of my developer friends. it's the common rule of cross platform work. ignore deviations. now... here is a heart breaker. there are 3 stages in adoption of some interface in enterprise.
      - 1st are fans that promote it
      - 2nd are cross platform developers who don't need to write any extra code to support that UI
      - 3rd and last are companies who see enough buyers to make software exclusive, where 1% way too small to even come as one sentence consideration in plans

btw, both KDE and enlightenment are better off surviving this race. enlightenment with tizen and KDE on the fact that you can make conforming cross platform apps with qt after latest alienation of desktop standards from gnome

btw, don't mix what you like and what you don't if you talk about corporate enterprise level desktop. fact what i like and what i don't like don't matter to companies when deciding if they move to linux or not. they set up few test desktops and put users behind them. if there is too much whining or too many problems, they simply say "try again, this one doesn't work". and users tend to whine if everything is not as they expect it to be

Comment

KDE forces you to use Qt which is CLA. enlightenment goes nowhere. I expect the Gnome app UX conversion to be done by 3.14. You might want to look up the 3.12 release changes if you want to count the amount of new or redesigned apps. Oh and do keep in mind that Yorba went to the house of Gnome too. They just added a new calendar app to their mail app, this is not 3.12 material though...

KDE haven't offered such a powerful release since years.
        what should i be impressed with? the fact they destroyed most apps with terrible design made by 3 monkeys on ego cool aid? gedit was one of my favorite text editors, still looking for replacement when i saw new design. web browser new design doesn't make any sense at all. nautilus is perfect example of how not to make desktop file manager. which one did i miss? if by calendar you mean this https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Calendar it looks most terrible of all where Windows 8 and elementary most resemble to slick and usable

or should i be impressed by this maybe? yep, let's clutter everything

or this? yep, hide and seek with confirmation buttons

KDE unlike gnome is keeping stable 4 and working on 5. any ground breaking changes in 4 would mean they started doing it wrong. maintain stable and work on next is only possible correct and sane process if you want to talk enterprise desktop
        Last edited by justmy2cents; 18 March 2014, 04:54 PM.

Comment

KDE forces you to use Qt which is CLA.
          where in the world did you hear that? it is GPL/LGPL+commercial https://qt-project.org/products/licensing

Comment

Wow. Are you unable to understand that Qt is CLA?
            wow. are you unable to understand that CLA is only required if you contribute to Qt which doesn't even touch developer who just develops with it? if project beside CLA requirement is also GPL/LGPL nothing stops you from forking and continuing if you disagree with how development goes. it's not pretty, yes i already said that. but, makes 0 difference for someone who doesn't hack on it. GPL/LGPL also enables anyone to fork it at any time

Fact is that the Gnome developers do more work on wayland, weston and supporting libs than all the other DEs combined.
            so? cookie for them. that doesn't change one fact i said about gnome

Comment

Well, then the new app UX is just not you. I feel different. After using the new app UX on Web for a few weeks, I can't go back to firefox. It feels wrong. And Gnome Terminal feels wrong too, because it still have the old UX.
              Iinstalled Gnome Web and can attest the UI is a fresh breath of air with the title back as url input. Firefox has a ability to change appearance with Gnome theme add-on, in combination of Omnibar, FxButton extensions to match Gnome Web look.
              Once Gnome theme for Firefox got updated to match the new UX, Firefox will be very similar.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                so? cookie for them. that doesn't change one fact i said about gnome
                And you said a lot. Why spend all that time repeating your irritation with gnome shell? This is Linux, you are free to choose any environment you like, so why bitch over and over about something you don't use?

Comment

GNOME, Wayland-and Cinnamon

That is not "support". Anyone can claim to be supporting Wayland. Full support happens when everything is ported and regressions are gone or obsoleted.

Gnome can claim the same level of support.

Fact is that the Gnome developers do more work on wayland, weston and supporting libs than all the other desktops combined.
                  Lately I've been hearing claims that new development on Cinnamon has stopped. Well, Cinnamon came from forking gnome-shell to stop extensions from breaking, then making the MGSE extensions a built-in part of the forked gnome-shell. OK, so Wayland will work well on GNOME in not too long, and MATE is getting ported to it. If Cinnamon gets abandoned, I will just have to try and learn enough about how it works to esentially port the Cinnamon changes to a Wayland-supporting version of GNOME. I've got a hell of a long way to go for that, I would have to learn enough Javascript to port the UI changes (which I assume are all in the Javascript elements) to the newer version of Shell with a hell of a lot of underlying changes. So far I've hacked on Frippery extensions a bit to make them work with alpha versions of GNOME before Cinnamon came out, but that's about it. Could be the only way I will ever have Cinnamon-Wayland is to write it myself.

If that beats me, I could pick a version of GNOME in which both Frippery and Wayland work, grab the source, fork it to a new name when compiled, and install it alongside with the Frippery extensions included by default. Frippery would need the ability to use a single panel on either top or bottom as a full task bar ported to it from Cinnamon, at that point I would have a rough workalike. Better if I could get the Cinnamon applet infrastructure working on it too, but being able to use gnome-shell extensions from a fixed and unchanging version would be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                    if you would check Phoronix history on fedora.next parts you would notice i used to promote exact same thinking as you do. then after seeing how bad gnome is getting with others and seeing fedora fosdem presentation, i went and started really digging. what i saw was enough to decide that fedora is not distro i want to stick with

indifferent????? @.@'
                    you mean like...
                    - using AppMenu insanity which is used nowhere else. idea works for OSX where it was copied from, gnome implementation on the other hand makes no sense at all since not one non-gnome app won't use it and gnome apps in different DE can't really expose it beside the fact doing that would make even less sense
                    - using non custom app grouping and ignoring default standard. bad excuse is that you can search it with shell, but sad reality is that it can't ever work on multilingual desktop
                    - using non standard dialog confirmation positioning, where they actually use 2 different standards that completely deviate from other ecosystem. is this some game where user should search how to confirm?
                    - using Chrome like menu button (which really makes sense there and it is implemented with thinking ahead) everywhere. but, unlike chrome they actually designed one of most unfriendly menu separations which reside on completely different sides of the screen beside the fact that it doesn't make any sense doing menu like that in most apps since all you get is cluttered nonsense
                    - using non standard notifications
                    - completely ignoring other DE. if DE for example relies on having title bars, gnome apps will simply be rectangular crap which completely falls out of picture
                    - 0 support on how other DE exposes some functions like running in tray and so on
                    - must i go further?

ok, here is my question to you. look at what you said... stronger focus on development. which tools will you use? and just how many different standards does that impose on you? that's not something i would call productive development environment if basics change in each software piece. even better question, how can one even support commercial desktop with such inconsistencies since typical user is anything but smart enough to go trough this "guess where"? how can you even develop cross platform app (yes, those are must if you want to see linux desktop to start gaining ground) and make it run sane in gnome without looking completely out of place? i already made one example in one of previous comments, now tell me how do you expect non-versed user will feel when conditioned to that

not to mention they are forcing people on touch like interface, where even MS realized this is a bad idea
                    There's some perfectly valid criticism in this post, hidden by your complete lack of ability to write coherently and are apparently angry that people like things you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
                      There's some perfectly valid criticism in this post, hidden by your complete lack of ability to write coherently and are apparently angry that people like things you don't.
                      english is not my native language. also, couldn't care less if i like it or not. if it was just about my desktop i can remove gnome and never look back like i did. problem is that those breaks completely broke infrastructure i support and i basically lost ground. it will not only take lots of work to move everything at clients to something else, it will also look dumb on my side for suggesting it in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                      X