Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seedo View Post
    Michael, did you try KDE?
    Not interested/suitable to run KDE on my main desktop.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
      KDE is the most slow on benchmarks and in my personal opinion is messy too..

Unity is the best choice between performance, productivity and optical result.
      I'll give it a shot. I agree KDE has gotten messy. THings like Nepomuk and Akonadi killed it for me. I actually only use Plasma and a couple KDE apps: Dolphin, Digikam and Konsole. I love the System Settings (in Ubuntu, the settings used to be Menu items, as opposed to being consolidated in a GUI). All of that is great, but that's it. I always remove kdepim in my systems to avoid all the crap.

Then I use Chrome for the Web and email, PiTiVi for video editing, Synaptic for package management, tv-maxe for streamed media, etc.

Comment

Well it depends, to me unity was slow and buggy, it is not messy only because it has very little features to make mess of.
        Also i've read that kubuntu is not the best option for KDE.

Comment

I mostly exclusively use Cinnamon on my Compaq laptop, but recently I wanted to resurrect an old Prostar/Clevo 5600P with a 1.8Ghz P4 and Radeon 7500. Sound wasn't working on it, so I boxed it in pieces and left it alone for nearly 10 years. Older and wiser, I heat gunned the south and northbridge chips to reflow it, and magically it works again.

Would be a pretty good laptop for basic web browsing and YouTube, but Windows XP is dated. So I put Ubuntu 13.10 which Unity obviously didn't support the Radeon 7500, and used software rendering which was super slow. Off to Mint 16 with Cinnamon, which showed the icons and Windows as black. Also was slow, but not nearly as slow as Unity.

XFCE ran just fine on it, but it looks dated and ugly. Then I put Kubuntu on it, and WoW is it fast. It looks appealing and no problems. Seriously, try KDE. I even put it on my Compaq laptop, since Cinnamon is having problems lately with the hybrid GPU's that's in it. Though for some reason KDE on Mint has problems with the Wifi, which I haven't bothered to get around fixing. At this point I'd be willing to reinstall Kubuntu over Mint 16, cause they haven't gotten around to fixing all the hybrid GPU problems with that UI. It likes to randomly freeze, usually when I'm using Firefox.
          Last edited by Dukenukemx; 15 March 2014, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I look forward to the "I switched back to Macbook / OSX" article in 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
              I look forward to the "I switched back to Macbook / OSX" article in 2 weeks.
              Oh, be nice...

If he's happy with Ubuntu Unity (I'm happy with it too; I'm also happy with GNOME Shell which I'm currently using), let it be.

Of course, I'd like to see him try out GNOME 3.10 since some of the GNOME 3.10 applications are Mac-like, but Michael would do just fine with Ubuntu. I mean, if he's okay with Ubuntu, the more the merrier. I will look forward to try out GNOME 3.12 when it's released. It would be cool to see what the new video player will look like in my system.

Comment

Uh, not posting the direct link to the image in the article is pretty silly, because it displays the image scaled down without a way to scale it up, so it looks low-res...
                The full-res image being this: http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id...y_hidpi_2_show

Comment

While that may be true, I believe Michael is simply looking for a primary DE to do work on - he could of course benchmark the system and install another DE if he so chooses when performing the benchmarks.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Not interested/suitable to run KDE on my main desktop.
                  And why not?

Comment

I think there's a HiDPI flag in chrome://flags

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                      Could you please try my website to see if it works in yours? I want to make sure it works regardless of DPI.

I'm a techie who loves EPCOT Center from the 1980s. I mainly post blog articles related to technology, but sometimes I might post non-tech articles as well.

Thanks.
                      Oops! Cannot find an installed Adobe Flash control. If you have recently
                      installed Flash, try closing all browser windows and re-launching the station.

Click OK to return to the Player Selection page to select a
                      different player or look for the Upgrade Now link to download
                      the latest version of Flash from Adobe.
                      Ugh, it hurts.

Comment

Working...
                      X