X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GraysonPeddie
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Many people use bluetooth devices with their desktop computers.

You just have a "i am not using it, so it is useless to everybody" syndrome...

Grow up...
    You are taking my comment too seriously. I'm just having a little friendly conversation in this thread and I do not have the kind of syndrome you are talking about. With that said, I apologize if I am being labeled as a troll. I have learned my lesson that I will not write such a comment in the future and I apologize for that.

Leave a comment:

• erendorn
    replied
    Originally posted by Grogan View Post
    Pusaudio is rubbish and I curse those distributions for using it. I had to disable it (not only the sound server, but you also have to give a directive to stop it from auto spawning), and change my apps over to use the plain jane ALSA device.

Not only that, it causes stupid, stupid dependencies (sometimes inherited by things that have nothing to do with audio). Pulse is preventing me from (easily) using an old game, even though I'm not using pulse. I had to install the 32 bit SDL packages from my distro, which pulled in the 32 bit pulseaudio libraries, that have a dependency on a module that I don't get because I haven't actually got the i386 pulseaudio system installed. So I've either got to compile myself a 32 bit SDL stack without pulse present, install the entire i386 pulseaudio and deal with that to prevent it from starting, or just forget the old game. I chose to just forget the old game, after screwing around, and installing dependencies I didn't otherwise need. What's stupid about this is that it's got nothing to do with the game, that knows nothing about pulseaudio. (if it wasn't patched, it wouldn't have been ALSA aware either).

It was implemented stupidly. I wouldn't care about it if it was something I could just yank out if I don't want it.

I wish I had a dime for every fanboy that denies this, but pulseaudio is extra gyration that I (and many others) don't want, that causes audio stuttering and problems with some of my games. My game performance in Serious Sam 3 improved after killing pulse, for example.

We seem to have one of those brow beating pricks here in this thread insulting people over this. Fun fact: You cannot impress or convince me with your condescending bullshit for I have real world observations... mine. I wasn't born yesterday.
    But really how does that contradict that pulseaudio answers the requirements of other people?

Leave a comment:

• Grogan
    replied
    Pusaudio is rubbish and I curse those distributions for using it. I had to disable it (not only the sound server, but you also have to give a directive to stop it from auto spawning), and change my apps over to use the plain jane ALSA device.

Not only that, it causes stupid, stupid dependencies (sometimes inherited by things that have nothing to do with audio). Pulse is preventing me from (easily) using an old game, even though I'm not using pulse. I had to install the 32 bit SDL packages from my distro, which pulled in the 32 bit pulseaudio libraries, that have a dependency on a module that I don't get because I haven't actually got the i386 pulseaudio system installed. So I've either got to compile myself a 32 bit SDL stack without pulse present, install the entire i386 pulseaudio and deal with that to prevent it from starting, or just forget the old game. I chose to just forget the old game, after screwing around, and installing dependencies I didn't otherwise need. What's stupid about this is that it's got nothing to do with the game, that knows nothing about pulseaudio. (if it wasn't patched, it wouldn't have been ALSA aware either).

It was implemented stupidly. I wouldn't care about it if it was something I could just yank out if I don't want it.

I wish I had a dime for every fanboy that denies this, but pulseaudio is extra gyration that I (and many others) don't want, that causes audio stuttering and problems with some of my games. My game performance in Serious Sam 3 improved after killing pulse, for example.

We seem to have one of those brow beating pricks here in this thread insulting people over this. Fun fact: You cannot impress or convince me with your condescending bullshit for I have real world observations... mine. I wasn't born yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    Yeah, that's true. I wonder who use Bluetooth devices with their computers? Desktop computers?
    Many people use bluetooth devices with their desktop computers.

You just have a "i am not using it, so it is useless to everybody" syndrome...

Grow up...

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    I really don't have a need for PulseAudio. All I have is JACK and an ALSA Loopback interface for ALSA-applications that connects through JACK and through my sound card.

The problem with PulseAudio is it takes up CPU resources that it does not need.
    The bad thing with computers, is that the percentage of users with a deep understanding of the technology is very small...

On a modern pc, a cpu sits idle most of the time and wastes electricity doing NOTHING. The cpu resources are there, take up electricity, but do no calculations. Modern cpus have features to shut down some resources, but they cannot eliminate the problem completely.

Pulseaudio on a modern cpu takes up a really small percentage of cpu power and ram. Really really small. You waste the electricity anyway, and it won't make a difference in your user experience, so why disable it? So you can have a false sense of efficiency?

Even when using heavy applications or games, a modern cpu does not work 100%. It still has room for Pulseaudio...

So all these arguments about wasting cpu resources are made by amateurs who just want to appear "smart" and "knowledgable". Fun fact: You cannot impress an engineer with that BS, keep those with your teenager friends...

Leave a comment:

• droste
    replied
    Yeah, that's true. I wonder who use Bluetooth devices with their computers? Desktop computers?
    I'm a happy user too and I don't use bluetooth devices. I use it to easily switch streams from PC speakers/Headphones to my AV receiver (HDMI).
    This way I can play games on the headphones and someone else watches movies on the TV.

Leave a comment:

• TheCycoONE
    replied
    too late to edit:

So would the opposite: playing a movie on the htpc and having the sound directed to headphones connected to my phone.

Leave a comment:

• TheCycoONE
    replied
    I have HTPC. Redirecting music from my phone would be nice, and I think all the features are available now so I plan on trying it out soon.

Leave a comment:

• arboy84
    replied
    Bluetooth Speakers

I use bluetooth between my laptop, my smartphone, and my speakers so that I can move between my table and bed in my studio apartment. I don't currently have a desktop. If I had an HTPC, I could see a use for it with that as well given my current speakers setup.

Leave a comment:

• quikee
    replied
    I do.. I have bluetooth headphones with a microphone. I sometimes also stream audio via. bluetooth from my Nexus 7 to my desktop computer. Again.. it mainly is just "pair, enable and play" with Pulseaudio.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X