Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulseAudio 5.0 Supports BlueZ 5, Native Log Target For Systemd

Phoronix: PulseAudio 5.0 Supports BlueZ 5, Native Log Target For Systemd

The latest version of the widely-used PulseAudio sound server is now available. With PulseAudio 5.0 comes new end-user features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really don't have a need for PulseAudio. All I have is JACK and an ALSA Loopback interface for ALSA-applications that connects through JACK and through my sound card.

The problem with PulseAudio is it takes up CPU resources that it does not need.

Comment

And I have a need for PulseAudio. Different people have different needs, who knew!

Comment

Yeah, that's true. I wonder who use Bluetooth devices with their computers? Desktop computers?

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
          Yeah, that's true. I wonder who use Bluetooth devices with their computers? Desktop computers?
          I do.. I have bluetooth headphones with a microphone. I sometimes also stream audio via. bluetooth from my Nexus 7 to my desktop computer. Again.. it mainly is just "pair, enable and play" with Pulseaudio.

Comment

Bluetooth Speakers

I use bluetooth between my laptop, my smartphone, and my speakers so that I can move between my table and bed in my studio apartment. I don't currently have a desktop. If I had an HTPC, I could see a use for it with that as well given my current speakers setup.

Comment

I have HTPC. Redirecting music from my phone would be nice, and I think all the features are available now so I plan on trying it out soon.

Comment

too late to edit:

So would the opposite: playing a movie on the htpc and having the sound directed to headphones connected to my phone.

Comment

I'm a happy user too and I don't use bluetooth devices. I use it to easily switch streams from PC speakers/Headphones to my AV receiver (HDMI).
                  This way I can play games on the headphones and someone else watches movies on the TV.

Comment

I really don't have a need for PulseAudio. All I have is JACK and an ALSA Loopback interface for ALSA-applications that connects through JACK and through my sound card.

The problem with PulseAudio is it takes up CPU resources that it does not need.
                    The bad thing with computers, is that the percentage of users with a deep understanding of the technology is very small...

On a modern pc, a cpu sits idle most of the time and wastes electricity doing NOTHING. The cpu resources are there, take up electricity, but do no calculations. Modern cpus have features to shut down some resources, but they cannot eliminate the problem completely.

Pulseaudio on a modern cpu takes up a really small percentage of cpu power and ram. Really really small. You waste the electricity anyway, and it won't make a difference in your user experience, so why disable it? So you can have a false sense of efficiency?

Even when using heavy applications or games, a modern cpu does not work 100%. It still has room for Pulseaudio...

So all these arguments about wasting cpu resources are made by amateurs who just want to appear "smart" and "knowledgable". Fun fact: You cannot impress an engineer with that BS, keep those with your teenager friends...

Comment

Working...
                    X