No announcement yet.

A Look At The New Gedit GUI In GNOME 3.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not everyone hates direction of GNOME. I am mainly a Windows user but since GNOME 3 I was attracted to Linux. In my personal opinion, they did a terrific job. I think that GNOME is offering beautiful, innovative and unique desktop experience. I like that they are not afraid to experiment and how they don't limit themselves to boundaries of the past. They have a clear vision of simple, unified and refined interface and they are really passionate about every detail. As I see it, other desktops are crowded and look like bloated relics of past compared to GNOME. If you like traditional interface then GNOME is NOT for you. If there are some minor things you don't like about GNOME, you can always experiment with extensions - that is one of the awesome advanced features I really like. GNOME is designed for modern casual users. I'm sure it is just the beginning of their great vision. Can't wait to try Wayland and to see what future of GNOME holds. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Comment

It's seems "Moronix" joking nickname for Phoronix is more true than ever

Real geeks don't troll on forums, just wannabes. The real ones use mailing list and only do it when bored of coding, like Linus. I consider myself a wannabe, but I try to be a bit more constructive (despite I may fail or provide stupid messages more often than I would like to).

I dislike the desktop metaphor (I prefer tiled window managers), but I dislike the tablet-like metaphor of Windows 8/Unity/Gnome even more. In my opinion, it isn't practical for a traditional mouse and keyboard driven computer.

Casual users? Well, the problem of desktop environments is that they reinvent themselves too much and are heavily influenced by mainstream platforms. They lack their own style. Anyway, a desktop environment can be properly customized but Gnome seems to hate geeks that like the old school way

Unfortunately, there's too much foolish fanboys even in the Linux world. It seems reason is something less frecuent in all places.
      Last edited by timofonic; 20 February 2014, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Lately GNOME software is getting less useful, and more like tablet toys.

We're living in idiocracy.
        Now everything is idiot-compliant and idiot-certified.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
          Is there anything we can do to keep our thread more professional and constructive, even if everyone does have their own opinion? What is wrong with GNOME applications, including GEdit and why are any of the applications a trainwreck? What, if any changes can be made to suit your likes and personality? What about aesthetics?

For me, what I like is Unity and GNOME 3. I like what I'm seeing for GNOME applications. I like the fact that GNOME is making their applications touch-friendly even though I am using my desktop computer. I do like the ambiance/radiance theme for GNOME applications. I like the fact that the UI controls are fully integrated into a title bar like Mac OS X, which I also like but then some Linux freaks might boo me down for that--heh). One of my favorite feature that I miss in GNOME 3 is the HUD. You hit the Alt key, type a command you're looking for, and hit Enter once you use the up-down arrow keys to select it. HUD is not about searching through files, but through menus of applications -- even complex menus.

Of course, I cannot have it both ways, but if we could share our experience with each other, being that just about everyone have different tastes and workflows, like one prefers Unity (like me but I like GNOME 3), some prefer KDE, XFCE, or whatever desktop environment, we could improve things for the better. Maybe we could fork GNOME 3 and Unity and combine things and mix things up. Make it look unique! Make the desktop look beautiful by having some transparency in titlebars and task bars. What about roll-down notification tray with volume control, networking, mail notification, and social networking combined all in one panel? I'm sure some Windows or Mac users might flock over to Linux. Sure, you can say "my post sucks" but let me ask you this: what is wrong with my post? I mean, why do you not want to see a fork of Unity and GNOME 3 combined and mixed things up? You see what I'm going here?

Of course, there's no need to be a troll unless you want to get your account banned for being a loudmouth but name-calling is completely unnecessary and this thread could get heated. My only advice is to not feed a troll and let it be. No need for bickering.
          Well it's been years of discussion now so I feel like everything has been hashed out and now it's just a matter of taking sides. And side-jabs. GNOME and Canonical have made it blunt-clear that user input is not at the top of the list when considering design and function. They have their own vision and have every intention of seeing it through. Of course they have that freedom but they can't expect themselves to be above criticism. It is the same with Microsoft and Windows 8. They had their vision, users said it was a turd, MS told their users to take a long walk off a short pier. No difference in much of the Linux community.

Personally I don't like these new design paradigms because they ultimately make it 10x harder to do the work I need to do on Linux. If they're going to make it as cumbersome as Windows or OS X, then why do I even bother with Linux? I might as well just do my work on Windows where at least I'll have the benefit of a vast and mature selection of software.

I can see how simplicity appeals to some people and maybe the simple user needs a simple interface. It's not apparent to me that GNOME couldn't satisfy both sets of consumers.

Ohh and the new stuff is slow and bloated. It just is. Compiz + gnome-panel used 150 MB of VRAM. Unity is 400 MB. There's a legit technical criticism.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think the world should have come to a standstill with GNOME2. We needed something better. I don't think anyone has come up with that yet. And GNOME2 is starting to look a bit dated.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
            Well it's been years of discussion now so I feel like everything has been hashed out and now it's just a matter of taking sides. And side-jabs. GNOME and Canonical have made it blunt-clear that user input is not at the top of the list when considering design and function. They have their own vision and have every intention of seeing it through. Of course they have that freedom but they can't expect themselves to be above criticism. It is the same with Microsoft and Windows 8. They had their vision, users said it was a turd, MS told their users to take a long walk off a short pier. No difference in much of the Linux community.
            Except that there are GNOME users who were eagerly waiting for GNOME 3, you accuse them of not listening to their users, well, for the most part they've been listening to what people like myself want.

Personally I don't like these new design paradigms because they ultimately make it 10x harder to do the work I need to do on Linux. If they're going to make it as cumbersome as Windows or OS X, then why do I even bother with Linux? I might as well just do my work on Windows where at least I'll have the benefit of a vast and mature selection of software.

I can see how simplicity appeals to some people and maybe the simple user needs a simple interface. It's not apparent to me that GNOME couldn't satisfy both sets of consumers.
            I'm not at all a simple user, I write software for a living and spend a fair chunk of time using the terminal, inkscape or the gimp. What I need is a simple UI that gets out of the way of using the keyboard, I don't need a file manager that does everything, a music player with more panes than I have patience.

That's not to say I love everything about GNOME, the app menu and gear menu are frustrating, I'd rather have a global menu. The removal of transparency from the terminal also cramps my style.

Ohh and the new stuff is slow and bloated. It just is. Compiz + gnome-panel used 150 MB of VRAM. Unity is 400 MB. There's a legit technical criticism.
            400MB out of 8GB of ram is nothing, poor animation speed and poor graphics drivers on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Lately GNOME software is getting less useful, and more like tablet toys.

We're living in idiocracy.
              Now everything is idiot-compliant and idiot-certified.
              I got you. Liking something makes you a fanboy but hating something and insulting everyone who doesn't share your opinion is a constructive thinking. It is not ok to like but is it ok to hate. Liking crowded interface makes you an intelligent person. Tidy and simple interface created to be out of the way with emphasis on content is designed for idiots and creative pussies. Intelligent design means putting every single button in a messy toolbar. Intelligent people like to do things in a complicated, untidy and challenging way. A real men do not use graphical interface, they use console. We're living in idiocracy because GUI is for idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                I dislike the desktop metaphor (I prefer tiled window managers), but I dislike the tablet-like metaphor of Windows 8/Unity/Gnome even more. In my opinion, it isn't practical for a traditional mouse and keyboard driven computer.
                You haven't used Gnome Shell long enough. It is designed to take advantage of keyboard with less use of mouse thus increase productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
                  400MB out of 8GB of ram is nothing, poor animation speed and poor graphics drivers on the other hand...
                  I wish my vidcard had 8 GB of RAM... but for now I'm at 1280 MB and my DE takes a third of that.

Comment

I wish my vidcard had 8 GB of RAM... but for now I'm at 1280 MB and my DE takes a third of that.
                    Ah, right, VRAM. How do you measure that?

Comment

What an absolutely useless blog about UI changes.

Here's a clue: Show the design change and then an actual selection of apps implementing the view changes to give the full picture.

Comment

Working...
                      X