Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell 3.12 Beta Has Many Late Changes

Phoronix: GNOME Shell 3.12 Beta Has Many Late Changes

Going along with new releases of GTK+, Epiphany, WebKitGTK+, and other updated packages for this week's GNOME 3.12 Beta, the GNOME Shell 3.11.90 release is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is Wayland near?

Gnome 3.12 means the end of X.org?
    Will it be the first usable Wayland?

Comment

Any news on Clutter-GTK Wayland subsurfaces support?
      Apparently some Gnome applications are broken on Wayland until this support is added.

Comment

Re: the high-resolution display thing.

I've always wondered why they don't just make the desktop UI elements render using vector graphics, that way it'll scale to whatever resolution the user has. Am I just being stupid? Why can't they just do it that way?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

I've always wondered why they don't just make the desktop UI elements render using vector graphics, that way it'll scale to whatever resolution the user has. Am I just being stupid? Why can't they just do it that way?
          Because only few of us run 16-core Opterons in their computers... (hint: try to open Thunderbird vector icon in Inkscape for example)

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

It's my understanding that GTK/GDK/Cairo renders using vectors. The desktop bits that don't scale well are bitmap fonts and icons. Providing multiple resolution bitmaps is enough.

About Gnome 3.12, I wonder how well is implemented in mutter the wayland input system and clipboard (which I've always found broken in X.org)
            Last edited by newwen; 20 February 2014, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rxonda View Post
              Gnome 3.12 means the end of X.org?
              I expect it will probably be usable under Wayland, but it's definitely not the end of X.Org

Comment

Theres no usable drivers yet

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
                I expect it will probably be usable under Wayland, but it's definitely not the end of X.Org

I just ask because Im ansious for Wayland to run on my Optimus (Kepler) laptop.
                But, the current state of Noveau with no DPM and reclocking at all make me stay with that other OS (M$).

Do you know if the new NVidia binary that supports EGL allows me to run Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
                  It's my understanding that GTK/GDK/Cairo renders using vectors. The desktop bits that don't scale well are bitmap fonts and icons. Providing multiple resolution bitmaps is enough.

About Gnome 3.12, I wonder how well is implemented in mutter the wayland input system and clipboard (which I've always found broken in X.org)
                  Haiku uses vector graphics for its icons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_Vector_Icon_Format

Comment

Originally posted by rxonda View Post
                    I just ask because Im ansious for Wayland to run on my Optimus (Kepler) laptop.
                    But, the current state of Noveau with no DPM and reclocking at all make me stay with that other OS (M$).

Do you know if the new NVidia binary that supports EGL allows me to run Wayland?
                    I do not believe so.

On another note - a side effect of FreeBSD's GNOME patches being integrated upstream is that 3.12 is no longer dependent on systemd.

Comment

Working...
                    X