No announcement yet.

Mozilla's Servo Still Going Forth To Parallelize The Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be, I don't follow it too actively.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      It is clear you have not used Firefox recently with a lot of bookmarks. Such magnificent and wise decisions they were to have it all in SQLite, which consequently fsync()s in the UI thread.
      SQLite only calls `fsync` at the end of a transaction. For a read-only operation like viewing the bookmarks, there's certainly no `fsync` happening. Firefox's responsiveness problems aren't caused by using a storage backend with transaction support. Chromium certainly makes use of transactions to prevent data loss and recover from being killed just like Firefox but it doesn't have any of these problems.

The entire Firefox UI freezes when a tab is running a loop in JavaScript, so there are obviously far bigger architectural issues. It doesn't really have anything to do with SQLite or the lack of multi-processing for sandboxing.
      Last edited by strcat; 21 February 2014, 07:06 AM.

Comment

There's a pretty clear correlation there, as the UI stall complaints increased a lot right after FF moved to sqlite.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          There's a pretty clear correlation there, as the UI stall complaints increased a lot right after FF moved to sqlite.
          That issue wasn't from bookmarks, but the history. When you visit a webpage, it gets stored in the history, and you can search for it in the awesomebar. That's where all the fsyncs came from.

As i mentioned earlier, there was a big effort a while back to move all that IO, both reading and writing, into async calls running in background threads. It seems like maybe that was around FF17-18 or so, but i don't recall exactly.
          Last edited by smitty3268; 22 February 2014, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X