Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla's Servo Still Going Forth To Parallelize The Web

Phoronix: Mozilla's Servo Still Going Forth To Parallelize The Web

It's been a while since hearing anything about Mozilla's Servo Engine that's an experimental browser layout engine that could one day replace the Gecko Engine within Firefox, but there's new development activity going forward and a new update to share today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for picking up my tip, Micheal

The video/slides finally reveal technical info behind Servo, which was sorely missing from any and all initial news posts about it.
    I can't wait for nightly builds to become available, every time I try to compile it myself I get some form of error where it compile fine then just doesn't work haha.

Comment

If you want more technical information, there is lively discussion on their mailing list (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...illa.dev.servo), as well as in their IRC channel (irc.mozilla.org, #servo). For some layout tasks, it's already faster than WebKit.
      Last edited by cmr~; 18 February 2014, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Also, I believe Mozilla has some openings on Servo and/or Rust for those that would like to work with research (which is more and more a rarity these days).

Rust seems to be an awesome language, I can't wait for it to stabilize a bit more (and include a regex engine) so I can do some small, longer-lived projects with it.

Comment

Don't forget responsiveness and reaction times, multitithreaded design really is the tool to make an application very responsive.

Comment

Will bookmarks handling be done in a separate threat allowing people with thousands to even hundreds of thousands of bookmarks to use the browser fluently, per-formant and responsive?

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
              Will bookmarks handling be done in a separate threat allowing people with thousands to even hundreds of thousands of bookmarks to use the browser fluently, per-formant and responsive?
              ... What? Bookmarks are just a list of links, with some metadata (names, ICOs, etc). Their "handling" comes down to editing that list. Having thousands of bookmarks shouldn't affect anything but the start time of the browser (as it reads the list)

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                Servo is an engine, not a browser. It has no concept of bookmarks, any more than Blink, Webkit, or Gecko do.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  ... What? Bookmarks are just a list of links, with some metadata (names, ICOs, etc). Their "handling" comes down to editing that list. Having thousands of bookmarks shouldn't affect anything but the start time of the browser (as it reads the list)
                  It is clear you have not used Firefox recently with a lot of bookmarks. Such magnificent and wise decisions they were to have it all in SQLite, which consequently fsync()s in the UI thread.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    It is clear you have not used Firefox recently with a lot of bookmarks. Such magnificent and wise decisions they were to have it all in SQLite, which consequently fsync()s in the UI thread.
                    Wasn't all the bookmark/history disk access moved off to a background thread a while back?

Comment

Working...
                    X