KDE's Nepomuk Doesn't Seem To Have A Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russofris View Post
    There is no "post PC era". PCs will always exist, and the need for a PC oriented desktop will always exist. The invention of helicopters did not facilitate a post-automobile era, and the adoption of the automobile did not foster a post-train era.

Bloatware was a symptom of overzealous capitalism and ignorance, and not result of an one particular DE over another. Had linux been the dominant OS, companies like HP and Lexmark would still have included 2 gigs of linux-shitware with their consumer printers rather than extending cups/sane with the same functionality.

Define PC. Your analogies don't work. Helicopters ate neither safe enough or cheap enough to supplant cars (they're really designed for niche uses).
    In countries where the population is very spread out the introduction of the car did signal the end of the train as transportation base.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
      I don't know if its still true but on the N9 tracker is just buggy as hell and very annoying.
      I've never used an n9 so I can't comment. I use tracker on my desktop and it works pretty well (again complicated queries require tons of joins in sqlite, so slow). The indexer seems efficient since I rarely ever see it show up as a battery culprit. I do wish that Needle was more nicely done.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        Define PC. Your analogies don't work. Helicopters ate neither safe enough or cheap enough to supplant cars (they're really designed for niche uses).
        In countries where the population is very spread out the introduction of the car did signal the end of the train as transportation base.
        Define PC? The definition hasn't really changed since the the original IBM PC and Apple Mac. While peripherals may have changed, the PC remains largely unchanged.

The analogies I use are perfect and you demonstrate my point. Tablets do not have the input devices necessary to supplant PCs. Handheld devices do not have a display device large enough to replace Talets.

Card. Book. Typewriter.

Each serves a different purpose. Each is a poor substitutes for the other. All have different interfaces which share a couple common elements and properties, and evolve independent of one another.

As a number of educational pilot programs have found out, the iPad/Surface is a replacement for a textbook. It has other useful functionality. It's a paper replacement (handouts and other materials). Its basic input allows for it to be used for multiple choice testing. Its display is large enough for basic correspondence. But when it comes to composition.... Nothing touches the PC. The majority of educators I have conversed with prefer something like the Chromebook when confronted with a choice between tablet and PC, and it basically boils down to composition. Understand that having students posses 'both' was never a consideration for most educators, due to budgetary restrictions.

Looking at the market,it appears in line with that assessment. Tablets that try to be PCs tank. PCs that try to be tablets tank. I believe Apple has it right. Don't cross the streams.... It's bad.

Comment

Looking at the market,it appears in line with that assessment. Tablets that try to be PCs tank. PCs that try to be tablets tank. I believe Apple has it right. Don't cross the streams.... It's bad.
          But "Post-PC era" is an Apple term IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by nineoneone View Post
            Amarok.
            Upon noting the first-run behavior (due to pre-configured settings therein) of Amarok, during a live trial of (IIRC) Kubuntu 13.2, I wondered "who's responsible for this ridiculousness?" The app shipped with various plugins installed, and pre-enabled (to "enhance my user experience" dontchaknow) such that, upon first double-click of a suitable minetype file... app starts up and performs callouts, spewing telemetry to ELEVEN remote parties. Thankfully, in this particular distro/release, drives were not automounted nor was Amarok pre-configured to scour my partitions, building a manifest of my collected media files and oh-so-helpfully calling out to lastFM etc. under a premise of "retrieving album art" or whatever. I don't know (nor do I have the time to investigate) whether the KDE project ships Amarok with those (use is never asked to opt in) defaults, or whether the end result reflects the decision of the distro package maintainer. In either case, by "partnering", apparently attempting to fund the project via partnerships which, by design, harvest my private (meta)data... the current interconnected-everything represents an intolerable environment for me.
            The LastFM Plugin is for LastFM statistics per lasfm account and doesn't works if don't looked in.
            Amarok only scans all selected dir for music default is: $XDG_MUSIC_DIR+

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              But "Post-PC era" is an Apple term IIRC.
              I believe it was Dave Clark when he was at MIT. He was using it in the context of an era where emergent devices (tablets, handhelds, set-top-boxes, appliances, and just about everything else) were connecting to the internet. It had nothing to do with the PC's demise, and everything to do with the expanding role of the internet for all our other devices. The PC will go nowhere till we have a replacement that allows us to compose as easily as the PC does.

Does Dave work for Apple now or something? I thought he was still at MIT at the CSAI lab. Stranger things have happened.
              Last edited by russofris; 18 February 2014, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Define PC? The definition hasn't really changed since the the original IBM PC and Apple Mac. While peripherals may have changed, the PC remains largely unchanged.

The analogies I use are perfect and you demonstrate my point. Tablets do not have the input devices necessary to supplant PCs. Handheld devices do not have a display device large enough to replace Talets.

Card. Book. Typewriter.

Each serves a different purpose. Each is a poor substitutes for the other. All have different interfaces which share a couple common elements and properties, and evolve independent of one another.

As a number of educational pilot programs have found out, the iPad/Surface is a replacement for a textbook. It has other useful functionality. It's a paper replacement (handouts and other materials). Its basic input allows for it to be used for multiple choice testing. Its display is large enough for basic correspondence. But when it comes to composition.... Nothing touches the PC. The majority of educators I have conversed with prefer something like the Chromebook when confronted with a choice between tablet and PC, and it basically boils down to composition. Understand that having students posses 'both' was never a consideration for most educators, due to budgetary restrictions.

So you're saying you aren't able to define it? If you aren't precisely saying what constitutes a PC you aren't saying much. My main issue with your claim is the "never"part. I find it extraordinarily unlikely that we'll be using PCs 1000 years from now.
                The reason your analogies are imperfect is that it is there are too many differences between all three objects that a simple analogy of the sort you've made ends up being tenuous.
                Trains HAVE been supplanted as a primary mode of transport in certain regions (north America, for one), but the reasons are complex.
                I never said anything about handhelds, but keyboards and monitors are easily attached to tablets (that is becoming ever more common amongst execs and those in the finance industry (the later I'm told by my brother in law) to use tablets as their primary committing platform--- I know he has a Bluetooth keyboard for his tablet). For note taking a stylus works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  Trains HAVE been supplanted as a primary mode of transport in certain regions (north America, for one), but the reasons are complex.
                  I never said anything about handhelds, but keyboards and monitors are easily attached to tablets (that is becoming ever more common amongst execs and those in the finance industry (the later I'm told by my brother in law) to use tablets as their primary committing platform--- I know he has a Bluetooth keyboard for his tablet). For note taking a stylus works really well.
                  Trains have been supplanted in some regions, for some uses, which is far from disappearing.
                  Actually there might be more trains today in most region than during when the train had the biggest market share among transportation means. The fact that cars and truck have become ubiquitous and gained most of the market share does not mean that the train in itself is any less used.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                    KMail2 can import from maildir, but doesn't use it for primary storage
                    It does, only for local mails obviously.
                    MBOX files can be added, as well as IMAP servers.

In any case there is always a maildir backing the outbox, default trash and drafts folders.

Cheers,
                    _

Comment

• Originally posted by nineoneone View Post
                      If Krita, Basket, etc were independent (vs akonadi-connected, akonadi-dependent) apps, I would enthusiastically financially support their ongoing development.
                      Krita is not using data services so it is already independent by your standards.
                      The question is if you actually ever intended to support it or if you are just making up excuses not to-

Cheers,
                      _

Comment

Working...
                      X