KDE's Nepomuk Doesn't Seem To Have A Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post
    Tracker's development has really slowed down since the fall of Nokia and the ending of a few contracts so I'm not sure how much help they could provide. The main problem with tracker is there substantial number of joins it performs, but they are necessary if you want to support the kind of rich query tracker allows you to do.
    BTW, what can baloo do that tracker cannot? You would've thought the Jolla folks would've gone with the qt solution rather than tracker if it was at all possible.
    I don't know if its still true but on the N9 tracker is just buggy as hell and very annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
      Well to be fair, desktop enviroments like KDE (windoze style and bloatware) doesn't have any future in the post pc era. We need tablet oriented desktop enviroments and aplications.
      Clearly you have never heard of this thing called "Plasma Active". Which incidentally is a KDE project , and incidentally the only GNU/Linux desktop layout that was created with tablets in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        Interesting cache that is bigger than the files. The emails and other akonadi data is stored in .local/share/akonadi btw. Technically if you do not use ANY subdirectories you can get the local emails in maildir format in .local/share/local-mail. But you do get the part where I have hundred of thousands of emails, right? Just kde-commits for the last month is more than any sane person would have in a single folder. I don't store them in a single directory, and unlike old Kmail, akonadi can not store tree subdirs in maildir format (the old Kmail way was a bit of a hack, but at least it worked).

- "To make it clear from the beginning: the Akonadi database is NOT your MAIN data storage.
        Even if it gets destroyed, removed, your data is still safe."

- "It is an interface: the Akonadi server and the underlying database is a common interface to your (PIM-alike) data for different applications, so those applications do not have to deal with the data files directly."

- "In case of POP3, the mails is stored immediately after download in a local maildir folder. The actual place of the folder depends on your configuration, it can be just as $HOME/Mail, as $HOME/kde./share/apps/kmail/ or $HOME/.local/share/.local-mail (for new installations)."

Comment

Quite Agree

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
          Good, I hated nepomuk.. That is always one of the first things I disable after installing linux and KDE.. It always runs in the background indexing crap and stuff....just for features that I will never use..

Does any one else actually use any features from nepomuk?..
          I would love to hear how anyone makes nepomuk and akonadi useful? One of the things that I love about Linux (and other *NIX) is the convenience and power of `grep`, `find`, `locate` and other related tools. For most purposes, those are easier for me and more effective than GUI substitutes.

And, with things like tagging photos, it appears almost impossible to sync both mine and my wife's semantic DBs, so there is little benefit there.

Anyway, good riddance.

Comment

Not since 4.5.
            There never ever was a KMail 4.5. As a ?KDE developer? you should know that?
            KDE is an open community of friendly people who want to create a world in which everyone has control over their digital life and enjoys freedom and privacy.

There is a reason KMail from KDE 4.4 is still used many places
            That's because there was no KMail 4.5 release and 4.4 was a LTS one?

It is that last one that doesn't load it to a MySQL database, corrupts half of it and then allows you to browse emails where loading one email now takes 2 minutes (though to be fair, over time it takes even longer until it stops working).
            Caching does not corrupt maildir hierarchies.

I don't say that as a troll, I say that as a KDE developer and fan who originally switched to Linux as my primary desktop because of KMail.
            You're not a ?KDE developer?. You're an idiot who doesn't even grasp the concept of a cache.

Comment

Originally posted by justinzane View Post
              I would love to hear how anyone makes nepomuk and akonadi useful? One of the things that I love about Linux (and other *NIX) is the convenience and power of `grep`, `find`, `locate` and other related tools. For most purposes, those are easier for me and more effective than GUI substitutes.
              Neither Akonadi nor Nepomuk are GUIs.

Comment

GUI Middleware, then...

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                Neither Akonadi nor Nepomuk are GUIs.
                I know that they are not actually GUIs, but services/daemons/middleware/odd-things-that-use-100%-of-all-cores-occasionally. However, there only apparent purpose is to serve as a backend to GUIs like Dolphin, Digikam, KMail and the like. I've never seen someone recommending using Nepomuk for finding a particular bit of code in the way that one would use grep or find on the console. For this reason, because they are part of a GUI desktop environment -- KDE -- and not part of a console based toolkit like common GNU/Unix tools.

Comment

only apparent purpose is to serve as a backend to GUIs like Dolphin, Digikam, KMail and the like.
                  No.

I've never seen someone recommending using Nepomuk for finding a particular bit of code in the way that one would use grep or find on the console.
                  People who use grep or find are masochistic anyway – almost as much as people voluntarily using Gentoo or Arch…

For this reason, because they are part of a GUI desktop environment -- KDE -- and not part of a console based toolkit like common GNU/Unix tools.
                  KDE is not a GUI desktop environment and neither Akonadi, Nepomuk nor Baloo are part of a GUI desktop environment.

Comment

People who use grep or find are masochistic anyway ? almost as much as people voluntarily using Gentoo or Arch?
                    Like me. Switched from Kubuntu to Arch with KDE and am **very** happy.

KDE is not a GUI desktop environment and neither Akonadi, Nepomuk nor Baloo are part of a GUI desktop environment.
                    Really? KDE.org seems to disagree with you... The KDE? Community is an international technology team dedicated to creating a free and user-friendly computing experience, offering an advanced graphical desktop

Since you have such expertise, please enlighten me as to *exactly* what non-GUI use one can put Nepomuk and Akonadi. Besides excersising ones' CPU, RAM and block devices.

Comment

Like me. Switched from Kubuntu to Arch with KDE and am **very** happy.
                      As a masochist you should've been more happy with Kubuntu?

Learn to read. It clearly says that KDE is the name of the team. It is not the name of the desktop?

Since you have such expertise, please enlighten me as to *exactly* what non-GUI use one can put Nepomuk and Akonadi.
                      Simply use them via CLI tools from the terminal. Eg. "nepomuksearch <query>"

Comment

Working...
                      X