KDE's Nepomuk Doesn't Seem To Have A Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lano1106 View Post
    nepomuk and akinondi are the things that made me switch from KDE to xfce4 to never return back.

At some point, when they integrated nepomuk into kmail, mail search stopped working! That was the culprit.
    You switch to another DE because a mail client stopped working for you? Are you stuipid?

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
      I've always had concerns with respect to my privacy, though... KDE itself is buggy and not very privacy-aware, I think, which means that anyone could have exploited any program and have access to my personal data easily. Call me crazy, but... I didn't see the nepomuk database as a good thing. The KDE devs should be aware of this (for example: what if I share my computer with other people, and I don't want to create another account for them?
      It's not any DE's responsibility to encrypt the home directory and if you don't create a new account for a new user, you're just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Nobody seems to wonder why the EU spent a whooping 17 million euros for a relatively minor software project, did they pay each programmer as much as if each of them was Linus Torvalds?
        KDE Nepomuk was never ever funded by the EU. Some research project written in Java was and some of its results were adopted by Tracker, KDE Nepomuk, Baloo and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
          Well to be fair, desktop enviroments like KDE (windoze style and bloatware) doesn't have any future in the post pc era.
          There is no "post PC era". PCs will always exist, and the need for a PC oriented desktop will always exist. The invention of helicopters did not facilitate a post-automobile era, and the adoption of the automobile did not foster a post-train era.

Bloatware was a symptom of overzealous capitalism and ignorance, and not result of an one particular DE over another. Had linux been the dominant OS, companies like HP and Lexmark would still have included 2 gigs of linux-shitware with their consumer printers rather than extending cups/sane with the same functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by mostheinl View Post
            I wrote a manual how to use Nepomuk in everday work, and what it can and cannot do:

http://kdenepomukmanual.wordpress.com
            Why is this a dedicated blog and not in KDE UserBase?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              many are happy with Icedove (renamed Thunderbird) for mail and dont need indexed files.
              Thunderbird does all the same indexing for mails by itself. No benefit over a system-wide service that applications can simply talk to.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                You switch to another DE because a mail client stopped working for you? Are you stuipid?
                I would just assume that he needs to correspond. A number of us have the 'job' thingies where we need to communicate with team members on a regular basis in a serious and professional manner. Functional groupware is a requirement. Any time we experience difficulty (ie; our PST file exceeds 2GB and we have to repair it and lose a bunch of correspondence), we lose a day worth of the work we are paid to do. To help put this in perspective, let me quickly quantify:

Exchange/OutlookMSOffice has cost me $20,000 due to a broken PST file, a broken OST file, and an account desyncronization issue with Lync.

Kmail/PIM/KOffice has cost me about $50,000 due to datastore corruption which resulted the loss of my contacts and several months worth of correspondence, even after rolling tape to recover what I could.

After evaluating the Ubuntu+thunderbird+libreoffice, and determining that it did not meet my needs, I was forced to settle on Apple's Groupware+MSOffice for Mac. This isn't because I wanted to spend a bunch of money on fancy looking kit and an office suite, this is because I needed to get some work done, and cannot be encumbered by groupware, file management, and integration issues. It's too costly.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                  I would just assume that he needs to correspond. A number of us have the 'job' thingies where we need to communicate with team members on a regular basis in a serious and professional manner. Functional groupware is a requirement. Any time we experience difficulty (ie; our PST file exceeds 2GB and we have to repair it and lose a bunch of correspondence), we lose a day worth of the work we are paid to do. To help put this in perspective, let me quickly quantify:

Exchange/OutlookMSOffice has cost me $20,000 due to a broken PST file, a broken OST file, and an account desyncronization issue with Lync.

Kmail/PIM/KOffice has cost me about $50,000 due to datastore corruption which resulted the loss of my contacts and several months worth of correspondence, even after rolling tape to recover what I could.

After evaluating the Ubuntu+thunderbird+libreoffice, and determining that it did not meet my needs, I was forced to settle on Apple's Groupware+MSOffice for Mac. This isn't because I wanted to spend a bunch of money on fancy looking kit and an office suite, this is because I needed to get some work done, and cannot be encumbered by groupware, file management, and integration issues. It's too costly.
                  Didn't try Evolution ?

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                    After you had data corruption troubles, you switched to a system that uses pretty much the worst file system available? How on earth can anybody think ?I had problems with data corruption. I'll fix this with HFS+????

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
                      Didn't try Evolution ?
                      KMail stores its mails in a regular maildir hierarchy. Corrupting all mails is pretty much impossible.
                      Considering we're talking about a guy who "fixed" data corruption by migrating to HFS+, he almost certainly just lost some index files and was incapabke recreating them?

Comment

Working...
                      X