KDE's Nepomuk Doesn't Seem To Have A Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
    17 million, dear lord, I hope some of the code finds it's way in Baloo otherwise such a waste of money!
    You fell for Michael's intentionally misleading phrasing

This was an EU research grant. We are lucky that one of the involved companies, Mandriva, did actually produce code. I would be surprised if they got more than tiny scraps of the whole pie, with giants such as Thales being involved as well.

Cheers,
    _

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
      nepomuk used to use LOTS of resources for no good reason (mysql? really?!?)
      Nepomuk uses Virtuoso, not MySQL.

Cheers,
      _

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Nobody seems to wonder why the EU spent a whooping 17 million euros for a relatively minor software project, did they pay each programmer as much as if each of them was Linus Torvalds?
        That's because everyone else knows that the EU did not spend 17million Euros on a relatively minor software project

People might wonder why only one, small, participating entity, Mandriva, managed to create something that went into actual use.

Cheers,
        _

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          You spent 17 million Euros on a Semantics Web set of frameworks, for KDE?
          Nobody did that.

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
          and you folks pissed roughly $25 million+ on fucking Nepomuk?

Too goddamn hilarious.
          Would have been hilarious if that is what had happened. Since it didn't, you will have to find something else to amuse you with

Cheers,
          _

Comment

Ahh Nepomik, that thing which nobody asked for that slowed KDE down for no visible benefit. Maybe it did something useful in theory but who knows? The fact it was a government project now makes perfect sense.

Comment

Originally posted by shaurz View Post
              Ahh Nepomik, that thing which nobody asked for that slowed KDE down for no visible benefit. Maybe it did something useful in theory but who knows? The fact it was a government project now makes perfect sense.
              Yeah, who needs government projects. A worldwide network to allow computers to talk to each other, satellites that let us figure out where we are, using radios to detect objects that can't be seen, making it harder for others to listen in on our conversions, all a waste of time.

Comment

Well to be fair, desktop enviroments like KDE (windoze style and bloatware) doesn't have any future in the post pc era. We need tablet oriented desktop enviroments and aplications.

look at the pipad for example, windoze style of lxde, what a waste
                Last edited by felipe; 17 February 2014, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
                  I really hope those 80% features are at least stable or KDEPIM will be running into the next disaster. You guys really know how to annoy your users the most.

I'm in the (un)fortunate position of having dropped KDE in its entirety due to the its 4.X groupware instability. It used to be (pre-4.0) that kde was the only real choice for integrated Mail/Contacts/Calender/Office/Chat under linux. Ultimately, I ended up switching my family over to Apple/Mac for our day-to-day usage and now run linux in a VM to get my work done.

It saddens me that it did not work out differently, as I was rather fond of the old KDE ecosystem, and really excited prior to the 4.X release.

Comment

oops dupe

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
                      Good, I hated nepomuk.. That is always one of the first things I disable after installing linux and KDE.. It always runs in the background indexing crap and stuff....just for features that I will never use..

Does any one else actually use any features from nepomuk?..
                      I do and I had nothing but pleasent experiences ever since Vishesh Handa became the maintainer. Baloo is being build on the experiences Vishesh gained with Nepomuk but he was restricted keeping backwards compatibility. With Baloo this is gone and he is even more free to optimize stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X