KDE's Nepomuk Doesn't Seem To Have A Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    You spent 17 million Euros on a Semantics Web set of frameworks, for KDE? Who had the authority to waste that sort of funding? You've got an agning Window Serving environment, the likes of The GIMP, Inkscape, Digikam, Blender all of whom with that infusion would have made a much greater financial boon to Linux, never mind Scribus [another obvious duh] and you folks pissed roughly $25 million+ on fucking Nepomuk?

Too goddamn hilarious.
    I'm almost sure KDE not had anything todo with the original EU financed research project. They only based their nepomuk implementation on the papers the project produced.
    As I understands it the new thing still use the part that is the nepomuk Ontologies just like Zeitgeist and tracker and probably others.

Comment

The article is misleading

"KDE's Nepomuk framework that was developed at a cost of 17 million Euros" is just wrong, it was the specification, framework and (discontinued) reference implementation in java that was developed for that money, Nepomuk-KDE was one sub-project that used the specifications.

http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/D7-2.html

And I cannot quite understand all the bashing against the Nepomuk System in KDE. Nobody is forced to use it, the indexer is not even switched on by default, and that the desktop search is enabled (which can be switched off) just means that you have the tag/rating/comment options in your dolphin side panel, you can even hide them from there. (same for akonadi/pim, just disable it if you do not want it). After KDE >= 4.8, i did not notice any performance issues anymore when activating it.

ihmo the biggest problem with Nepomuk was that most people did not know how to use it, and what it is good for. It is much more than just a front-end to find/grep, even if it uses them as a fallback for non-indexed folders. For me, the best feature was to write arbitrary comments to files (about content, download-url, important pages,...), just like Sun tried once with the Looking Glass desktop (there you could "turn" document icons and write on their backsides).

I wrote a manual how to use Nepomuk in everday work, and what it can and cannot do:

http://kdenepomukmanual.wordpress.com

Comment

For people saying one could build KDE without nepomuk/akonadi: I have been doing this since KDE 4.3, and I'm quite happy with the result. KDE compiled like that is fast and stable. The downside of this is that I don't have any of the kdepim apps installed (or is this a good thing, actually) and in recent versions of KDE SC some parts, like popup file previews in Dolphin and Konqueror, do not work. Well, not much of a problem for me.

If anyone needs my instructions/patches/Arch PKGBUILDs, I'll be happy to provide them.

Comment

nepomuk/akonadi

Don't think anyone will mourn their passing. As popular as Ballmer turning up at Linuxcon.

Comment

The major problem with akonadi these days is nepomuk. Using nepomuk required storing everything twice, and one of those stores had to go through the slow Virtuoso. Having Baloo, I hope, will also make Akonadi much faster. So I think Akonadi in 4.13 will solve many of the problems with Akonadi.

Nepomuk, in principle, was a great idea, but it (or rather Virtuoso) proved to be infeasible. Akonadi, on the other hand, has no fundamental reason it can't be the best PIM framework out there, but it has been held back by Nepomuk (or rather Virtuoso).

Comment

Not really related, but still relevant:
              Does anyone knows if this replacement (or Nepomuk for that matter) had per application rights for the database content?
              Like, can it be restricted which applications can access PIMs?

Comment

Any guide to migrate from Akonadi to Baloo in Gentoo?
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  It shouldn't be necessary. Once Baloo is installed, the first time it starts up it should automatically convert everything over.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
                    There are people however, who actually use Akonadi and now they get a replacement which is only 80% feature complete? I really hope those 80% features are at least stable or KDEPIM will be running into the next disaster. You guys really know how to annoy your users the most.
                    Uh, this is about Baloo and Nepomuk, not about Akonadi. This has little to do with PIM and everything to do with indexing.

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    I'd say you should start by waiting for the 4.13 release, then wait for it to be packaged in Gentoo, then wait for it to become marked as stable, and then you can ask this question again

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      You spent 17 million Euros on a Semantics Web set of frameworks, for KDE? Who had the authority to waste that sort of funding? You've got an agning Window Serving environment, the likes of The GIMP, Inkscape, Digikam, Blender all of whom with that infusion would have made a much greater financial boon to Linux, never mind Scribus [another obvious duh] and you folks pissed roughly $25 million+ on fucking Nepomuk?

Too goddamn hilarious.
                      Thats not hilarious, thats sad. Programms like Modo came to be were they are because of 15 millions $(yes, not Euros) from the ground. Blender, Krita, GIMP, Inskape would shine like gems!

Comment

Working...
                      X