No announcement yet.

Mozilla's Use Of GPUs For 2D Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fwiw, slides are available at http://people.mozilla.org/~bschouten/fosdem2014/ . The link is shown at the very end of the presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      EDIT: If anyone would like to give a quick summary for those of us who prefer text over videos and/or slieshows, it would be appreciated.
      He's talking about methods and available APIs for 2d shape drawing. Which is used in .. SVG and canvas, but not much anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        For once I am actually glad to be using Iceweasel and not Firefox. No matter what shit hits the fan, I can be sure that the guys maintaining and packaging Iceweasel will make the right decision.
        Some default images in place of empty spaces are shit? I think this reaction is absurd.

Anyway, Iceweasel is maintained by a Mozilla developer too.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I hope they don't remove the option to "Hide the new tab page" (in the upper-right corner when you open a new tab).

I wonder if there will be any about:config setting to disable the ads.

I wonder if adblockers will be able to block the ads since new tab is a built-in page, not a page on the web.
          I wonder if they are going to try to prevent adblockers from blocking the ads.
          OMG, what the actual fuck?? Whats the problem about those ads? I mean there're only for first-time users and can simply be replaced by your own links. Opera does that for a long time already.. and also they need to get in some money, that's nothing to be blamed for.
          This is simply like having some default bookmarks added. You folks are overreacting really..

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            OH MY F***ING GOD stop turning it into clickbait Micheal. Seriously.

To all those worried about this:

Don't be. They are not ads, they are pre-pinned sites on the new tab page FOR NEW USERS ONLY. Not ads. If you set up a new profile/re-install FF fresh, it will show some default pinned sites. The sites that were "sponsored" WILL BE CLEARLY MARKED AS SO.

Want to know how to get rid of them? UN-PIN THEM. It's a one-click process to un-pin a freaking site. No need for adblock, because they aren't f***king ads.
            Read the article people: https://blog.mozilla.org/advancingco...at-the-center/

I tried posting something like this over in the actual thread, but it was buried by people in a governmental discussion...
            Thanks Micheal, for promoting FALSE INFORMATION in order for you to get money. There are so many names I want to call you right now.
            That's still ads, even if temporary.

Comment

looks like firefox is entering the stage of being a victim of it's own success, and I always believed that this could not happen to open source software, it was building up in the license agreement since all versions after firefox 1.5.

do not be blinded by this feature advertisement, isn't that is very similar to the method employed by microsoft ? I will grant you the fact that mozilla is a non-profit organization, but that is changing, and now those changes are beginning to reflect in the software itself.

Comment

You Firefox users have been running a giant ad for quite a while now. You didn't know it was an ad since it didn't flash, congratulate you for being the ten millionths visitor or promise you reproductive activities with all the neigbours you didn't know you had.

It's been staring you right in the face for years, and you never knew.

That search box right on the start page? That's the ad. It sends a hidden referer to tell google that this search came from firefox's start page, and mozilla gets a boatload of cash for putting it there.

A boatload of cash from a company who now has their own browser and may not be really interested in financing their competitor any more. Especially after that competitor used the money to fund FirefoxOS, which competes with android.

That's not a source of income one should rely on. To survive, mozilla needs to find different sources of funding. If it is to remain free of charge, there aren't many options but ads.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                  You Firefox users have been running a giant ad for quite a while now. You didn't know it was an ad since it didn't flash, congratulate you for being the ten millionths visitor or promise you reproductive activities with all the neigbours you didn't know you had.

It's been staring you right in the face for years, and you never knew.

That search box right on the start page? That's the ad. It sends a hidden referer to tell google that this search came from firefox's start page, and mozilla gets a boatload of cash for putting it there.

A boatload of cash from a company who now has their own browser and may not be really interested in financing their competitor any more. Especially after that competitor used the money to fund FirefoxOS, which competes with android.

That's not a source of income one should rely on. To survive, mozilla needs to find different sources of funding. If it is to remain free of charge, there aren't many options but ads.
                  This and the default search in the toolbar, all those defaults? They paid to be there, the one thats selected by default of those? They paid the most. The new "ads" are just a default set of bookmarks that are paying to be there.

The morons saying these are ads are the same breed of idiot that think Valve is going to eat their unborn children.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                    He's talking about methods and available APIs for 2d shape drawing. Which is used in .. SVG and canvas, but not much anywhere else.
                    Actually some desktops use SVG icons so it's widely used. SVG provides superior quality over bitmaps. There are quite bad performance problems for example if you do desktop compositing with CPU backend. The GPU support for 2D will speed up things like drawing windows in future vector based desktops that use scripting languages for logic. I can imagine GNOME and others will be deployed on browsers in the future for decreasing CPU usage and for better network transparency.

Comment

Working...
                    X