X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    i didn't read slides, but list of compilers supporting c++11 in article is wrong
    clang completed support in 3.3, gcc in 4.8.1 and msvc ... sad msvc will have complete c++98 support around 2015, so don't hold your breath
    It's likely the list of compilers they are targeting which have some of the common c++11 features that they want to use, rather than naming ones that are 100% feature complete.

Leave a comment:

• Filiprino
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    such an unusual display of sanity by opensource developers

i didn't read slides, but list of compilers supporting c++11 in article is wrong
    clang completed support in 3.3, gcc in 4.8.1 and msvc ... sad msvc will have complete c++98 support around 2015, so don't hold your breath

update: the list is taken from slides, but it is still wrong
    The Microsoft Visual C++ compiler is just plain garbage. They push proprietary and incompatible extensions even with that. I hate the ALL CAPS variable type names.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by hourwatch View Post
    And why not go for Rust?
    because it will require starting from scratch. very little people understand that major strength of c++ is its backward compatibility to c.

Leave a comment:

• hourwatch
    replied
    And why not go for Rust?

Leave a comment:

• DanLamb
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    Why not write the whole thing in Javascript?
    HTML 5 is the way ahead. Most browsers have Spell Checkers built-in.
    There are a ton of those. I think Google Docs spreadsheets (written in JavaScript) is way better than Excel or LibreOffice Calc ever was. It's difficult to add regression lines to plots, but that's the only drawback I've found. For more serious tabular data analysis+visualization, something like R is a better tool.

For docs + slides, authoring in html, Markdown, rst, or LaTeX is far better than the WYSIWYG crap that is Word or LibreOffice Writer.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-...apps-are-slow/

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    javascript

HTML 5 is the way ahead. Most browsers have Spell Checkers built-in.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    such an unusual display of sanity by opensource developers

update: the list is taken from slides, but it is still wrong
    Last edited by pal666; 13 February 2014, 08:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Azpegath
    replied
    Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
    That sounds like a good idea. C++11 and C++14 seems to be mostly about conveniences and readability, so sensibly used that should make their code a tad easier to work with. No miracles (it's an office suite in C++, I expect it to be a bit heavy to get into), but every little bit helps.
    I agree, the improvements in C++ with 11 and 14 are really, really great. They are not only about convenience and readability, even though that is a huge part of it, things like the move operator is (possibly) a huge performance improvement as well as a readability improvement.

Leave a comment:

• hubick
    replied
    I think it's these types of things that certainly won't turn developers off of contributing to a project.

I remember looking at Mozilla's C++ restrictions many years ago, and being like "why didn't you just code it in C then".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X