Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Plans For C++11 / C++14 Development

Phoronix: LibreOffice Plans For C++11 / C++14 Development

LibreOffice has been pushing forward in its development recently with supporting OpenCL in its spreadsheet, gaining an OpenGL rendering back-end, and supporting other modern features and system capabilities for the open-source office suite. LibreOffice is also planning for its adoption of the C++11 programming language and even C++14 language features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sensible

That sounds like a good idea. C++11 and C++14 seems to be mostly about conveniences and readability, so sensibly used that should make their code a tad easier to work with. No miracles (it's an office suite in C++, I expect it to be a bit heavy to get into), but every little bit helps.

Comment

I think it's these types of things that certainly won't turn developers off of contributing to a project.

I remember looking at Mozilla's C++ restrictions many years ago, and being like "why didn't you just code it in C then".

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
        That sounds like a good idea. C++11 and C++14 seems to be mostly about conveniences and readability, so sensibly used that should make their code a tad easier to work with. No miracles (it's an office suite in C++, I expect it to be a bit heavy to get into), but every little bit helps.
        I agree, the improvements in C++ with 11 and 14 are really, really great. They are not only about convenience and readability, even though that is a huge part of it, things like the move operator is (possibly) a huge performance improvement as well as a readability improvement.

Comment

such an unusual display of sanity by opensource developers

i didn't read slides, but list of compilers supporting c++11 in article is wrong
          clang completed support in 3.3, gcc in 4.8.1 and msvc ... sad msvc will have complete c++98 support around 2015, so don't hold your breath

update: the list is taken from slides, but it is still wrong
          Last edited by pal666; 13 February 2014, 08:03 AM.

Comment

javascript

Why not write the whole thing in Javascript?
            HTML 5 is the way ahead. Most browsers have Spell Checkers built-in.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
              http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-...apps-are-slow/

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                HTML 5 is the way ahead. Most browsers have Spell Checkers built-in.
                There are a ton of those. I think Google Docs spreadsheets (written in JavaScript) is way better than Excel or LibreOffice Calc ever was. It's difficult to add regression lines to plots, but that's the only drawback I've found. For more serious tabular data analysis+visualization, something like R is a better tool.

For docs + slides, authoring in html, Markdown, rst, or LaTeX is far better than the WYSIWYG crap that is Word or LibreOffice Writer.

Comment

And why not go for Rust?

Comment

Originally posted by hourwatch View Post
                    And why not go for Rust?
                    because it will require starting from scratch. very little people understand that major strength of c++ is its backward compatibility to c.

Comment

Working...
                    X