No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell Lands High DPI Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope Unity supports HDPI maybe when 14.04 or 14.10 comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post

Please state your desktop environment, resolution and [display size (or diagonal and aspect ratio)].
      UBUNTU 14.04
      gnome ( from official repository)
      kde ( from official repository)
      Linux mint ( from night repository)
      unity ( default )

resolution = not Ultra resolution but just full hd 1920x1080
      display size = 382mm x 215mm

And the default DPI is? 96dpi. I cant change this no matter what i do.

Comment

Integer?

Why not floating point so people with 1080p laptops can benefit?

Comment

Per monitor support?

Wonder what the chances are of this supporting a mix of high dpi and normal dpi screens? Seems like a pretty common use case to plug a laptop with high res screen into a lower resolution monitor or projector.

Comment

To answer some questions:

Re multimonitor and integer scaling:

Why can't I change the dpi from 96?
            See: https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-s...-manager.c#n70

As for 1080p I don't think your dpi is high enough to warrant scaling everything just increasing the font scale if needed should be enough. (If you have a 192dpi+ 1080p display you have a problem but I don't think you can get such a display outside of smartphones).

Comment

Originally posted by fritzls View Post
              It's not just a gnome problem.
              ubuntu, mint, kde they all allow us to change the font dpi but not the display one.
              xrandr dpi never works. scale turn everything a mess.
              when using under full hd my eyes hurts sometimes.
              It is being worked on in KDE as well:

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                I really hope Unity supports HDPI maybe when 14.04 or 14.10 comes out.
                They are working on High DPI support for Unity 7 in 14.04 LTS and of course Unity 8 has support for that but it needs to be refined.

Display devices with higher pixel densities are becoming more widespread and available in the consumer space. Unity7 does not currently work well on such displays due to hard-coded pixel sizes and assumptions about the interaction between pixel densities and view sizes. Some featires in Unity7 need to be adjusted to accommodate the newer hardware.

Brandon Schaefer and Eleni Maria Stea are working on that support for High DPI in Unity 7. They have a couple of branches in development and already some were merged in trunk of Unity.

Unity 8 needs to refine it's support to be more automatic because currently it needs to be set with GRID_UNIT_PX.

It’s still very early days in Canonical’s efforts to unify the experience from phone to tablet to desktop to TV, but results are starting to trickle in. One of the side projects on my p…

Comment

HiDpi displays have been out for several years now, having recently acquired one I was surprised by how badly supported they still are on Linux desktops. I saw people recommending KDE, saying that it was the only desktop built to be size independent, but I tried it and it was clear that it had problems (tiny window decorations, badly placed our sized text etc). Will be interesting to see how well this new Gnome patch works out.

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
                    To answer some questions:

Re multimonitor and integer scaling:

As for 1080p I don't think your dpi is high enough to warrant scaling everything just increasing the font scale if needed should be enough. (If you have a 192dpi+ 1080p display you have a problem but I don't think you can get such a display outside of smartphones).
                    This is the problem.
                    It's not about what you think ( sorry, I?m being honest) but what I want and need.
                    nor everyone want use this 96 dpi. not everyone have an eagle eyes . It's really annoying.
                    At end of day our eyes start hurts because of everything small.

change the font dpi turn everything like a kid paper/glue project..

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post

Well. If is so hard to do it by heuristic ( I agree it is)..
                      Turn some default DPI values, like 96, 120, 140, another ones into a easy way to be changed by users ( not all possible market dpi, but ones near the default ones we have by in market today) or a way we can change this by manual x/y size input.

It's not something frugal ou non useful. It's something basic from the usability viewpoint.
                      Better have a near dpi for Uhd than a standard 96dpi.

If My skill can help into this I'm proud of do it. but I cant. unfortunately.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X