Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.12 Might Be Delayed Until Wayland 1.5

Phoronix: GNOME 3.12 Might Be Delayed Until Wayland 1.5

GNOME developers are looking at delaying the official release of GNOME 3.12 until the Wayland 1.5 release that should happen in April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i wonder when will they drop wayland support in order to 'simplify' even further the gnome desktop...

Comment

First they would drop keyboard support. ;-)

The MacBook Wheel lets consumers accomplish everyday tasks like typing with just a few dozen spins and clicks of a wheel.Subscribe to The Onion on YouTube: h...

So Fedora 21 and OpenSUSE might even come with XWayland if they merge it into 1.16 for July.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
        i wonder when will they drop wayland support in order to 'simplify' even further the gnome desktop...
        Funny joke. How about actually giving cred to the GNOME devs for pushing forward with Wayland, instead of iterating the incredibly stupid "OMg! GNOME is removing features"-meme?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I used to be an troll like you then I took an Gnome to the knee.

Seriously, Gnome Shell is now (3.10) good enough for most of the population (I actually have few casual users running on it without a problem). The only drawback right now is the frakking Nautilus...

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post

Seriously, Gnome Shell is now (3.10) good enough for most of the population (I actually have few casual users running on it without a problem). The only drawback right now is the frakking Nautilus...
            1st off, i was gnome fan until they started promoting usability in last gnome versions.

shell was way better at 3.4 or 3.6. after, all went to hell. like completely removing groups from being able to actually selecting one. ok, they put it back... right into the clusterfuck of All icons. like there wouldn't already be 100 too many. search only does not and can't work when some software is not translated on desktop

nautilus post 3.8 is simple definition when it's time for designers to be put in front of wall and shot

but, worst thing would be menus and new dialogs... i mean really. part of it is at top left side of screen while other is hidden under a button far right on the window? suddenly, my previous hatred for mouse mileage on Mac&Menus looks fscking productive. which doesn't come close to this http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/files...ilechooser.png @.@'. i mean... REALLY? now try and make crossplatform application. my decision on that was ignoring gnome completely and make perfect apps

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post

And Activities view: showing no icons with the spread windows and not allowing users to group apps...
              Other than that...some speed and it's done.

Comment

While I'm sure that Wayland is the future and everything, am I the only person who is wondering how it will conquer X when it can't handle OpenGL? Only OpenGL ES? That's not exactly ideal for grachics intensive applications like games. If there is ongoing work or future plans to make OpenGL work on Wayland let me know because I've not been able to find anything on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                  While I'm sure that Wayland is the future and everything, am I the only person who is wondering how it will conquer X when it can't handle OpenGL? Only OpenGL ES? That's not exactly ideal for grachics intensive applications like games. If there is ongoing work or future plans to make OpenGL work on Wayland let me know because I've not been able to find anything on it.
                  Weston uses OpenGL ES for compositing, but any Wayland app can use OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                    I think you are thinking of GLX vs EGL, rather than OpenGL vs OpenGL ES... OpenGL works fine w/ wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X