No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.12 Might Be Delayed Until Wayland 1.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not refering to EGL. I already know that EGL works fine with OpenGL. I had misunderstood what I had read. Thanks for clearing it up.

Comment

Big Gnome fan here.. Been using Gnome since the 1.0 days (anyone remember Ximian Gnome?). The one thing that really irked me was somewhere around Gnome 3.8, when I could no longer unmaximize nautilus. Couldn't figure it out... finally had to google it, and found that the only way to unmaximize that one app was to drag it via the toolbar, which was different than any other app. Now it is mostly fixed in the latest releases (glad they gave up on that), but Nautilus still lacks many features that it once had.

Comment

I tried Gnome Wayland on Fedora 20 and I noticed that it's actually slower than Gnome xorg. By slower, I'm referring to the animations of Gnome Shell itself which is silky smooth on xorg but not on Wayland. Does anyone know why this is so? I know the wayland version is not complete yet, but what is the missing piece that is needed for smooth animations?

Comment

Removing the Taskbar, clearly indicates to me that some of gnome developers used too much forbidden substances!

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            I know the wayland version is not complete yet, but what is the missing piece that is needed for smooth animations?
            I imagine it's just that one of Shell-on-X is a mature piece of software that's had time spent on fixing performance issues - whereas Shell-on-Wayland is a work in progress, and little effort has gone into performance concerns yet.

Comment

Originally posted by gururise View Post
              the only way to unmaximize that one app was to drag it via the toolbar, which was different than any other app.

Just FYI, instead of dragging via the toolbar, you can hold down the Windows key while dragging any part of a window.

It used to be the Alt key on older versions (and probably still is on other desktops), but Gnome seems to be consolidating on using the Windows key for all shell interaction tasks, so as to avoid conflicts with Alt or Ctrl-based shortcuts used by applications. Which is good, because I've had no end of problems with Gnome 2 and the Eclipse IDE - almost any key combination used by the desktop is blocking one used by the IDE...

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                Removing the Taskbar, clearly indicates to me that some of gnome developers used too much forbidden substances!
                Quite the contrary. Removing the task bar was a smart move. If you want fast switching between apps then chances are the task bar is useless to you because you'll be doing ALT+TABs anyway. If you don't want fast switching then getting a zoom out of all the apps is an easier way to spot the app you need. So, saving up the vertical space is more useful than the task bar. There will still be people who truly need the taskbar, but I believe the percentage of those is smaller than those who prefer to save the vertical space.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  Quite the contrary. Removing the task bar was a smart move. If you want fast switching between apps then chances are the task bar is useless to you because you'll be doing ALT+TABs anyway. If you don't want fast switching then getting a zoom out of all the apps is an easier way to spot the app you need. So, saving up the vertical space is more useful than the task bar. There will still be people who truly need the taskbar, but I believe the percentage of those is smaller than those who prefer to save the vertical space.
                  /me prefers the saved screen space.. lets me see another line or two of code

but that said, there is classic mode for those who prefer the old way

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                    While I'm sure that Wayland is the future and everything, am I the only person who is wondering how it will conquer X when it can't handle OpenGL? Only OpenGL ES? That's not exactly ideal for grachics intensive applications like games. If there is ongoing work or future plans to make OpenGL work on Wayland let me know because I've not been able to find anything on it.
                    You can create OpenGL (not ES) context through EGL.

However as many games are using GLX so....

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                      1st off, i was gnome fan until they started promoting usability in last gnome versions.

shell was way better at 3.4 or 3.6. after, all went to hell. like completely removing groups from being able to actually selecting one. ok, they put it back... right into the clusterfuck of All icons. like there wouldn't already be 100 too many. search only does not and can't work when some software is not translated on desktop

nautilus post 3.8 is simple definition when it's time for designers to be put in front of wall and shot

but, worst thing would be menus and new dialogs... i mean really. part of it is at top left side of screen while other is hidden under a button far right on the window? suddenly, my previous hatred for mouse mileage on Mac&Menus looks fscking productive. which doesn't come close to this http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/files...ilechooser.png @.@'. i mean... REALLY? now try and make crossplatform application. my decision on that was ignoring gnome completely and make perfect apps
                      LOL that file chooser button placements are indeed fscked up. I still like GNOME though I think I will get used to it (second thought: nah I won't get used to it, that is nowhere near usable at all I mean come on. Although I usually use the keyboard shortcuts on dialogs anyway. I believe they will keep destroying everything step by step after seeing that file chooser though) Gonna try some of new Qt based desktops though, like that razor-lxde merge when it is actually stable.
                      Last edited by the303; 04 February 2014, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X