Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Plasma-Next Gets A Release Date

Phoronix: KDE's Plasma-Next Gets A Release Date

Sebastian K?gler laid out plans to get a final version of Plasma Next out this summer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why? Why is it so ugly ... with all those thick frames, glamour dashes and candy eye icons...

Comment

Looks like they aren't too happy:

To whoever poked Michael L. about it: please think whether it was useful to
      make media aware of our internal discussions and announce a release date
      before we finished the discussion and announce it through our media channel.
      Also it sucks that he already uses a version number even though we haven't
      announced one yet.

This really sucks and I'm quite pissed. This also goes to Phoronix for
      reporting about internal discussion. Awesome that you get the hits for
      reporting it first, but it makes working in the open really hard. To whoever
      poked Michael in the first place, please also pass this one on.

Cheers
      Martin

Comment

I don't really see what's the issue here. We already knew that the future (Wayland, KF5, and now Plasma 2) is coming this summer. So no big news there. The fact that the official channels won't be the first ones to report it doesn't sound like much of an issue, either: if it's not out through the official channels, then it's a rumour. And, well, Phoronix is known for doing that. If the plans change, then Phoronix will have to double back as well. No harm done. And definitely not worth closing the discussions down for things like that.

Now if the article isn't accurate, then it's another matter entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by nox86 View Post
          Why? Why is it so ugly ... with all those thick frames, glamour dashes and candy eye icons...
          Because there is a lot of complaining, but in the end no one is willing to help/provide a new theme.

Comment

wait what? flaming because not the whole world runs like he wants?
            Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Great, but I worry that Nvidia won't release Wayland driver in time.

I see no problems about reporting on "internal" discussions by the way - that's open development for you. If discussion is in the public channel, it's not internal.
              Last edited by shmerl; 29 January 2014, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                Because there is a lot of complaining, but in the end no one is willing to help/provide a new theme.
                No, I've already asked this and it's because if they change it there will be even more complaining than there is now, even if it's better (the whole "people reject change" thing).

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                I see no problems about reporting on "internal" discussions by the way - that's open development for you. If discussion is in the public channel, it's not internal.
                They work out in the open. The difference between an open-internal mailing list and a new report about it is that news report usually contain "official" information, so the information contained in this article will be taken as absolute by many people who will later complain about the falsehood of it.

Comment

Great, but I worry that Nvidia won't release Wayland driver in time.
                  Plasma Next won't require Wayland. It will still support X11.

Reporting on development discussions isn't a problem inherently; LWN.net for example does it in a generally tasteful and careful way that provides a lot of value to the FOSS community by creating awareness and circulating information. But there's nothing careful about the headline "KDE's Plasma-Next Gets A Release Date": It's actively misleading and premature. Bad quality reporting of this nature does much to impede open development, since it fosters an atmosphere in which people become afraid to discuss things in public. Folks who care about that therefore get rightfully annoyed.
                  Last edited by Sho_; 29 January 2014, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post
                    Plasma Next won't require Wayland. It will still support X11.
                    Yes, but I still would prefer to use it with Wayland + Nvidia. But alas, that probably won't happen soon.

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post
                    Reporting on development discussions isn't a problem inherently; LWN.net for example does it in a generally tasteful and careful way that provides a lot of value to the FOSS community by creating awareness and circulating information. But there's nothing careful about the headline "KDE's Plasma-Next Gets A Release Date": It's actively misleading and premature. Bad quality reporting of this nature does much to impede open development, since it fosters an atmosphere in which people become afraid to discuss things in public. Folks who care about that therefore get rightfully annoyed.
                    I agree, LWN is more careful about how they report such updates. Phoronix more often uses tabloid style headings.

Comment

Working...
                    X