Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ In GNOME 3.12 Gets New "Popovers" Feature

Phoronix: GTK+ In GNOME 3.12 Gets New "Popovers" Feature

The latest GTK+ tool-kit code in development for GNOME 3.12 brings a new GtkPopovers widget...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great, as if popovers in web pages wouldn't be obtrusive enough, we now can also get them in native GUI's too.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Great, as if popovers in web pages wouldn't be obtrusive enough, we now can also get them in native GUI's too.
      Yes, but popovers are better than info/warning dialogs which are new windows, and that makes popovers an improvement, at least it saves windows management/clutter.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Yes, but popovers are better than info/warning dialogs which are new windows, and that makes popovers an improvement, at least it saves windows management/clutter.
        I believe you get that through an existent extension which allows dialogs to be joined to the calling window (that's in mutter at least).

Comment

Bootstrap

So these is like popovers in Bootstrap?

Comment

And here I thought it was these popovers.

Comment

I wonder if that would allow the same thing that Dirk Hohndel demoed in his Qt Subsurface presentation where an infobox next to the cursor would always show the relevant data to that datapoint.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                So these is like popovers in Bootstrap?
                Probably not. What it seems like to me is that it's more for situations like "help >> about" dialogues that currently create an entirely new window just to show some information about the application that already uses a window. With popovers, it probably creates a box without window decorations inside of the current window that goes away if you click outside of it.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  I believe you get that through an existent extension which allows dialogs to be joined to the calling window (that's in mutter at least).
                  Which is why it was moved to (core) Gtk, to not have to learn to check/use/install the extension everywhere else where Gtk works (mac/bsd/windows, kde/etc), because it's much easier to create your own popover than learning to manage that extension on other platforms/environments.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    Yes, but popovers are better than info/warning dialogs...
                    Except if they work like they do in OSX, where you can't move/resize the popover out of the way to check the contents of the window before making a decision. In the case where the popover presents options and to make a decision you have to remember what was being displayed in the main window.

But, I think these popovers are not like that, and actually look like something well designed and useful. It's for things that would not be done with a info/warning dialog at all, but more like a tooltip on mouse over: http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/...-now-popovers/

Comment

Working...
                    X