Ubuntu 14.04 Might Drop OpenJDK Java Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Ubuntu maintainers are incompetent, so that they find maintaining OpenJDK difficult is no shock to me... They do not maintain many things anyway... Outside a few core apps and libs, all other packages are heavily outdated most of the time...

But i wouldn't worry about it. Developers and other professionals never use Ubuntu to begin with...

I'm a developer and I use Ubuntu.
    How does it feel to be proved wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      First of all, I stated earlier that I have removed OpenJDK from my installation and replaced them with Oracle JDK. That error message is not mine; i retrieved it online from Stackoverflow to prove a point.
      As others have pointed out, this is not the case anymore. OpenJDK is now the reference implementation. I am also running IntelliJ IDEA 13 CU with OpenJDK 1.7 (and used to run version 12). No problems whatsoever. HotSpot is now bundled in OpenJDK, so there shouldn't be any performance differences on x86 (ARM is another matter, though).

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
        Oh don't worry. TemplarGR is an Ubuntu hater troll.

Comment

There is one very serious difference between OpenJDK and OracleJava. OpenJDK gets security patches a hell lot faster than Oracle, which with all the java exploits on the net it's really important. So OpenJDK wins, I even wish that there was a version of OpenJDK for windoze so I could tell all the windows users I know to use that instead of the faulty OracleJava.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
            There is one very serious difference between OpenJDK and OracleJava. OpenJDK gets security patches a hell lot faster than Oracle, which with all the java exploits on the net it's really important. So OpenJDK wins, I even wish that there was a version of OpenJDK for windoze so I could tell all the windows users I know to use that instead of the faulty OracleJava.
            There are unofficial ports for Windows but since OpenJDK project doesn't promote any Windows port, they don't get much attention. Same for OSX. Another difference is that if you compile bytecode on OpenJDK and try to run it with Oracle JRE, you might run into glitches. This may happen with client-server architectures if the server is Linux with OpenJDK and client is Windows with Oracle JRE.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
              Be a man, use ArchLinux...

Comment

Working...
              X