GTK+ 3.11.4 Adds A New Container, Widget Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    I was posting this in the latest Gnome thread, must have been the wrong one.

And in any case, tanwald's gnome-shell-extension-thunderbird-integration plugin doesn't work for Gnome 3.8+ and it only handles mail notifications, no calendar or contact integration whatsoever which is most of the reason you get Thunderbird anyway.

Even worse, if you try and remove Empathy or Evolution, you risk removing the notification transport components since they get removed by default.
    What kind of person would call that a good design?
    No. You don't risk any such thing. Telapathy is an entirely separate framework from Empathy and E-D-S data store for calendar and contacts has no dependency on Evolution.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      No. You don't risk any such thing. Telapathy is an entirely separate framework from Empathy and E-D-S data store for calendar and contacts has no dependency on Evolution.
      And yet there is still literally no way to integrate calendar, contact or even email notification information from Thunderbird into Gnome Shell, absolutely none.
      In fact, go beyond the default Gnome applications and this is basically what you're left with.

Comment

And yet there is still literally no way to integrate calendar, contact or even email notification information from Thunderbird into Gnome Shell, absolutely none.
        In fact, go beyond the default Gnome applications and this is basically what you're left with.
        Wrong again as usual. It is very much possible to do that and extensions are already available as I have pointed out before. If Thunderbird wants to integrate with GNOME better directly, there is nothing stopping them however Thunderbird has been in maintenance mode by Mozilla and likely won't recieve any major features anymore.

Mozilla is not "stopping" Thunderbird development, it has just decided that: "continued innovation on Thunderbird is not the best use of our resources given our ambitious organizational goals." And it's pulling people off the project. But it's not stopping? Right. This, according to a letter shared with "Mozillians" ahead of the official announcement to be revealed on Monday. Recipients were asked not to share the letter, blog or tweet about the news until then, but obviously someone out there didn't agree with that plan.

Comment

Wrong again as usual. It is very much possible to do that and extensions are already available as I have pointed out before. If Thunderbird wants to integrate with GNOME better directly, there is nothing stopping them however Thunderbird has been in maintenance mode by Mozilla and likely won't recieve any major features anymore.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/06/so-...r-thunderbird/
          The current extensions are broken, all of them, you have not pointed out a single currently working plugin and I would bet dollars to pennies it's because Gnome doesn't have a stable API yet, which they should.
          Furthermore, it's the Mozilla Organization that is placing Thunderbird into maintenance mode, they've regulated feature enhancement to the community instead through plugins and code pulls, so there's nothing saying it won't receive major features.

Comment

The current extensions are broken, all of them, you have not pointed out a single currently working plugin and I would bet dollars to pennies it's because Gnome doesn't have a stable API yet, which they should.
            Furthermore, it's the Mozilla Organization that is placing Thunderbird into maintenance mode, they've regulated feature enhancement to the community instead through plugins and code pulls, so there's nothing saying it won't receive major features.
            Nope. I have the extensions I need working just fine so it is provably wrong to claim that it is not feasible. Ever since Thunderbird went into maintenance mode it has not receieved any new features and that is expected given what they clearly announced

"We have come to the conclusion that continued innovation on Thunderbird is not the best use of our resources given our ambitious organizational goals. The most critical needs for the product are on-going security and stability for our 20+ million users."

I wonder how many times you can be wrong before you stop arguing.

Comment

Nope. I have the extensions I need working just fine so it is provably wrong to claim that it is not feasible. Ever since Thunderbird went into maintenance mode it has not receieved any new features and that is expected given what they clearly announced

"We have come to the conclusion that continued innovation on Thunderbird is not the best use of our resources given our ambitious organizational goals. The most critical needs for the product are on-going security and stability for our 20+ million users."

I wonder how many times you can be wrong before you stop arguing.

Read under 'What's New' and 'New'. Those look like new features to me.

And what plugins? No plugin that I have tried has worked as described, even when making Thunderbird the default Email and Calendar application.

Comment

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde.../releasenotes/
                Read under 'What's New' and 'New'. Those look like new features to me.

And what plugins? No plugin that I have tried has worked as described, even when making Thunderbird the default Email and Calendar application.
                Your link validates my point very well. No major new features As for extensions, you claimed it is literally impossible to do that and that is clearly not the case since the extension that I posted works fine for me.

Comment

Your link validates my point very well. No major new features As for extensions, you claimed it is literally impossible to do that and that is clearly not the case since the extension that I posted works fine for me.
                  Then explain to me why it doesn't work in Gnome 3.8 on Ubuntu.
                  Actually, if this is such a non-issue, why hasn't anyone actually gone and replied to the blog post here (http://sgros.blogspot.com.au/2013/12...underbird.html) and actually either told the author he's full of shit or actually helped him?

Rahul, since you have so much time to argue with someone on a forum, why haven't you taken the initiative to go and fix this?

Comment

Then explain to me why it doesn't work in Gnome 3.8 on Ubuntu.
                    Actually, if this is such a non-issue, why hasn't anyone actually gone and replied to the blog post here (http://sgros.blogspot.com.au/2013/12...underbird.html) and actually either told the author he's full of shit or actually helped him?

Rahul, since you have so much time to argue with someone on a forum, why haven't you taken the initiative to go and fix this?
                    When you make inaccurate statements in a public forum, others who know better might point it out. If this bothers you so much, you should take the time to verify your claims. I don't use GNOME 3.8 nor do I use Ubuntu and I have zero incentive to fix it for you nor do I have any reason to go correct random blog posts that are wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X