Gedit For GNOME 3.12 Receives Brand New UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zanny View Post
    So I use Kate, here it is without anything open: https://i.imgur.com/To29fh9.png

Is that really "cluttered"?
    yes.

You may be used to it, but that is a lot of buttons everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
      yes.

You may be used to it, but that is a lot of buttons everywhere.
      It's not just that it's buttons everywhere... it's that every button has a text caption, making them all take up more space. There are only six active buttons on the main toolbar, but they take up half the screen. As a result, yeah, it does look cluttered - more so even than an IDE like Eclipse with far more buttons and toolbars.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        It's not just that it's buttons everywhere... it's that every button has a text caption, making them all take up more space. There are only six active buttons on the main toolbar, but they take up half the screen. As a result, yeah, it does look cluttered - more so even than an IDE like Eclipse with far more buttons and toolbars.
        The captions are optional. Having them on improves usability since you know exactly what each button does at a glance. But you have the option of turning them off to save space (as well as change icon size).

Also, Kate isn't a really good comparison, KWrite is the KDE counterpart to Gedit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
          Do you get the basic idea of GUIs? They should simplify (no, I don't mean in the GNOME moron way) actions you'd normally need to use your keyboard for, even if only out of ergonomy. Do you use shortcuts to go forth and back in firefox? Well I don't care because 99% of the people do so. Sometimes I am just to lazy to use my keyboard and just use some of the luxury of our modern technology. And don't tell me lazyness isn't an attitude of the human kind. Our lazyness lets us develope new technologies for our ease of use.
          You don't need buttons? Screw it! go back to stone age and use your Linux in text mode! I'm all for it, but the GNOME way is just not making any sense. They simplify by making logical actions complicated - well it's their ALIEN way of understanding "simplifying".
          No, but switching tabs is different from the actions I was talkng about. I know that Ctrl-Z will undo my last changes to the current document. And I know that Ctrl-F will open the search entry for the current document. Pressing a button in this case requires me to stop looking at my document and focus on the GUI. Therefore, *I* see no use for a button that does this. People who don't know the keyboard shortcuts (honestly, who doesn't?) I assume can easily find the actions in the cog-menu.

Switching tabs in a web browser is different. I actually do this for some pages, since I usually keep a few tabs open in the same order such that I know that Alt-1 brings me to e-mail, Alt-2 to calendar, and so on. For other pages, I don't know what number they are on, so I would have to look and see.

To give a counter question, do you think *all* possible gedit actions should be available directly, as a button, on the toolbar? Otherwise, what is wrong with removing some buttons that I am certain most people never click?

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            So I use Kate, here it is without anything open: https://i.imgur.com/To29fh9.png

Is that really "cluttered"?
            IMO, yes. And that is why I personally prefer GNOME over KDE.

Comment

Too much hate for GNOME...

It is not GNOME you hate, it is change. People always love to criticize progress. It is the "hip" thing to do...

What is so wrong with GNOME?

I actually love it. It provides much useful screen area for work, it lets me easily arrange my workspaces, and i can have anything i want, software or file, with the press of super and a few inital letters, on my screen. Not on a small start menu like Windows and its imitation KDE...

I simply can't understand what it is that you criticize. I have given an Arch GNOME desktop to my girlfriend who is no IT professional, and she never was troubled with it. Yet you see Linux geeks in forums complaining for no real reason at all.

I suppose we should get stuck to the same UI guideliness for ever, even in 2100 we should never change that paradigm, just update the resolution of the icons and we will be set, right?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                Too much hate for GNOME...

It is not GNOME you hate, it is change. People always love to criticize progress. It is the "hip" thing to do...

What is so wrong with GNOME?

I actually love it. It provides much useful screen area for work, it lets me easily arrange my workspaces, and i can have anything i want, software or file, with the press of super and a few inital letters, on my screen. Not on a small start menu like Windows and its imitation KDE...

I simply can't understand what it is that you criticize. I have given an Arch GNOME desktop to my girlfriend who is no IT professional, and she never was troubled with it. Yet you see Linux geeks in forums complaining for no real reason at all.

I suppose we should get stuck to the same UI guideliness for ever, even in 2100 we should never change that paradigm, just update the resolution of the icons and we will be set, right?
                The problem with gnome is obvious. It's messed up DE that tries to copy android and ios. It seems they don't see the difference between PC and smartphone. People complain, because they have real reasons to do so. Your sweet talk won't change the reality. Furthermore KDE isn't windows copy. It's far more advanced and better. Gnome is made by morons and aimed mostly for morons. There's no logical explanation for their idiotic decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  The problem with gnome is obvious. It's messed up DE that tries to copy android and ios. It seems they don't see the difference between PC and smartphone. People complain, because they have real reasons to do so. Your sweet talk won't change the reality. Furthermore KDE isn't windows copy. It's far more advanced and better. Gnome is made by morons and aimed mostly for morons. There's no logical explanation for their idiotic decisions.
                  Well, could you please in short explain what makes GNOME 3 so broken for desktop users? I've been using linux for more than ten years and whether it is actual work I'm doing (development, audio recording, ...) or just listening to music, browsing the web and so on, GNOME works just fine. Of course there are a few things I don't like, just like in any other desktop environment, but it's nothing making me less productive.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    The problem with gnome is obvious. It's messed up DE that tries to copy android and ios.
                    Some parts of iOS and Android maybe are worth copying?

It seems they don't see the difference between PC and smartphone.
                    Funny. I use both GNOME and a smartphone several hours per day, and I disagree.
                    Sure, maybe GNOME 3 is trying to adapt to touch screen usage, but so far it has not made the experience worse. For me at least.

People complain, because they have real reasons to do so. Your sweet talk won't change the reality. Furthermore KDE isn't windows copy. It's far more advanced and better. Gnome is made by morons and aimed mostly for morons. There's no logical explanation for their idiotic decisions.
                    Jeesh, can we at least keep the discussion somewhat civilized.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                      I think most people use some shortcuts for text editors. C-c C-v C-x C-s i s very common even many people without much computer experience use them.
                      For a minute I thought that was one long shortcut from Emacs.

Comment

Working...
                      X