• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our children will look at screen-shots from this last years and say
    "Why on Earth did you do that?"
    And we will reply:
    I have no idea. Fashion maybe?
    They might see regular menus as "old looking" or even "primitive", but still I don't think they will see 'this' as a step forward.

Two wishes:
    • I hope there is no designer who ever thinks of "Refreshing Keyboard shortcuts"!
    • I wish to say: "Do you remember when that useless fashion took over usability? Lucky us! It passed away!"

Comment

Looks great. It's a good thing more and more apps get the new guidelines.
      The only thing is if you have a old screen, the header bar get very big. It's fine with a modern high resolution screen but with my old 1280x800 it is to big.

Comment

I used Gnome since version 2 but I think its getting worse with every release.
        At the moment Nautilus is painful. Also the global menu which is on the left and the one-menu-button which is on the right.
        I don't know what the devs are thinking but the new mockups of Gnome are very scary. Sad to see that they are going this way.
        All the new stuff like Gnome Shell and UIs do not work out for me.

I switched to KDE finally. Sure it has it flaws too, but at least I can configure everything the way I want and the way I can work with it.

Comment

Try Xubuntu

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          Forget it, Gnome is too far gone.
          After giving up on Gnome, I tried many current distro's and found Xubuntu to be more like Gnome 2 than anything else available. Xubuntu is, by far, the best organized and staffed Ubuntu variant, rivaling Ubuntu itself. Xubuntu offers a more robust standard feature set than distributions that use a dumbed-down "universal" interface.

Debian, upon which Ubuntu is based, now uses the XFCE desktop, just like Xubuntu, lending further resources to development of this user interface.

By contrast, the Lubuntu variant of Ubuntu is in limbo because its LXDE desktop is in the process of being ported to the Qt framework. I found the derivative distro, Linux Mint, to be buggy, outdated and insecure, disabling kernel updates by default, for example.

IMHO, Xubuntu is the best choice for desktop users going into the 2014 April long-term support releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
            Looks great. It's a good thing more and more apps get the new guidelines.
            The only thing is if you have a old screen, the header bar get very big. It's fine with a modern high resolution screen but with my old 1280x800 it is to big.
            It looks really cluttered to me. There is a global menu at the top panel. Then we have a menu at the left top of the window bar, then we have a menu at the right window bar.
            Wtf ? Do they seriosly tried to work with this ? If one would measure the mouse ways in doing real work (like web programming) it would be: Unity > KDE > Gnome

Also instead of redoing the UI in every release, they should improve their applications, which are a mess since Gnome2 compared to KDE's.

Comment

looks ugly and painful to work. But in a tablet maybe is fine. :P
              Last edited by felipe; 13 January 2014, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
                Maybe I am the only one, but I do like the new interface. Looks less cluttered. Reminds me a bit of Sublime Text perhaps? Gnome is moving to the new interface guidelines (that's why gedit has changed). I see many ideas from the Mac world (top menu, no file/edit/about menu in the same screen, few buttons, big tabs, etc.).
                Agreed. It's becoming more useable and out of your face. Still OS X is nowhere near as usable as NeXTSTEP in its day. Then again the tear away menus that store state back in 1989-1996 seems to be considered archaic by today's all-in-one world.

Comment

As someone who use gedit daily, I welcome these changes. The current toolbar simply contains lots of stuff that I never use (by clicking the toolbar). Freeing up space is always welcome.
                  Not sure yet what I think about the current tab design though. Have to see how it works when it lands.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                    It looks really cluttered to me. There is a global menu at the top panel. Then we have a menu at the left top of the window bar, then we have a menu at the right window bar.
                    Wtf ? Do they seriosly tried to work with this ? If one would measure the mouse ways in doing real work (like web programming) it would be: Unity > KDE > Gnome

Also instead of redoing the UI in every release, they should improve their applications, which are a mess since Gnome2 compared to KDE's.
                    I like it as long they only have less used stuff in the global menu in the top bar.
                    I really like the new nautilus in 3.10. But I think global menu is pretty useless for stuff you need often.

Comment

Well, at least they didn't remove any functionality, apparently. I'm curious if having the "open file" button on the far left and the "save file" button on the far right will work though, but I mostly just use Ctrl+S anyway, so it doesn't bother me. But it does look like a completely arbitrary design decision to me. What could possibly be the logic in separating the "file operations" buttons, and putting the save action next to the app options menu and the close button?

Comment

Working...
                      X