The Biggest Problem With GTK & What Qt Does Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    My fonts do look good. I just question why the official bling screenshots are done with bad fonts.
    For me, it is mostly a matter of DPI.

On screens with DPI < 100 I HATE antialiasing, and every kind of LCD-font-enhancing technology like microsoft's ClearType, and I just like to see bitmap fonts.
    However, as DPI go bigger and bigger through the years, they become unreadable and horrible (because font makers don't make hi-dpi version of their bitmap fonts).

But then you need antialiasing and cleartype and so on because we don't yet have DPIs big enough on computer monitors (I don't think it is needed on retina displays however because you can't see pixels anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
      Doesn't change the fact Qt is a bloated pos.
      GTK+ is even more bloated.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
        Qt 5 adds Fusion, a new (non-native) style to look same everywhere.
        Not bad, at least it doesn't look ugly as Java's Swing. Nor pretty either.

Comment

Clementine is done is qt.

Comment

Wait... I can use QtCreator for non-qt C++ development? Never thought of this possibility before. Gonna give this a try for sure to see if it's any better than CodeBlocks.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              Wait... I can use QtCreator for non-qt C++ development? Never thought of this possibility before. Gonna give this a try for sure to see if it's any better than CodeBlocks.
              Of course. You don't even have to use qmake (which also works fine with non-Qt projects btw.). The IDE has plugins for cmake and autotools based projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                Of course. You don't even have to use qmake (which also works fine with non-Qt projects btw.). The IDE has plugins for cmake and autotools based projects.
                I use cmake in my project. The way I do it right now is to have cmake generate the required project file for CodeBlocks (.cbp file), so CodeBlocks itself is not aware of cmake. How does QtCreator work with cmake files, does the cmake plugin understand cmake files? I don't remember seeing QtCreator as one of the options in the cmake-gui tool.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  I use cmake in my project. The way I do it right now is to have cmake generate the required project file for CodeBlocks (.cbp file), so CodeBlocks itself is not aware of cmake. How does QtCreator work with cmake files, does the cmake plugin understand cmake files? I don't remember seeing QtCreator as one of the options in the cmake-gui tool.
                  I think it does it the same way IIRC: It makes cmake output a CodeBlocks project (cbp) and then uses that. But after that you don't really notice a difference (I always open the top level CMakeLists.txt with QtCreator and it recognizes everything).

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                    I think it does it the same way IIRC: It makes cmake output a CodeBlocks project (cbp) and then uses that. But after that you don't really notice a difference (I always open the top level CMakeLists.txt with QtCreator and it recognizes everything).
                    Awesome. Opening the CMakeLists.txt file directly is what I wanted. Thanks for the info.

Comment

thanks a lot siavashserver for the tip. Looks like I am going to dump CodeBlocks

Comment

Working...
                      X