Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Biggest Problem With GTK & What Qt Does Good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #51
    Originally posted by frign View Post
    Doesn't change the fact Qt is a bloated pos.
    GTK+ is even more bloated.

    Comment


    • #52
      Originally posted by siavashserver
      Qt 5 adds Fusion, a new (non-native) style to look same everywhere.
      Not bad, at least it doesn't look ugly as Java's Swing. Nor pretty either.

      Comment


      • #53
        Clementine is done is qt.

        http://www.clementine-player.org/screenshots

        Comment


        • #54
          Wait... I can use QtCreator for non-qt C++ development? Never thought of this possibility before. Gonna give this a try for sure to see if it's any better than CodeBlocks.

          Comment


          • #55
            Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            Wait... I can use QtCreator for non-qt C++ development? Never thought of this possibility before. Gonna give this a try for sure to see if it's any better than CodeBlocks.
            Of course. You don't even have to use qmake (which also works fine with non-Qt projects btw.). The IDE has plugins for cmake and autotools based projects.

            Comment


            • #56
              Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
              Of course. You don't even have to use qmake (which also works fine with non-Qt projects btw.). The IDE has plugins for cmake and autotools based projects.
              I use cmake in my project. The way I do it right now is to have cmake generate the required project file for CodeBlocks (.cbp file), so CodeBlocks itself is not aware of cmake. How does QtCreator work with cmake files, does the cmake plugin understand cmake files? I don't remember seeing QtCreator as one of the options in the cmake-gui tool.

              Comment


              • #57
                Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                I use cmake in my project. The way I do it right now is to have cmake generate the required project file for CodeBlocks (.cbp file), so CodeBlocks itself is not aware of cmake. How does QtCreator work with cmake files, does the cmake plugin understand cmake files? I don't remember seeing QtCreator as one of the options in the cmake-gui tool.
                I think it does it the same way IIRC: It makes cmake output a CodeBlocks project (cbp) and then uses that. But after that you don't really notice a difference (I always open the top level CMakeLists.txt with QtCreator and it recognizes everything).

                Comment


                • #58
                  Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                  I think it does it the same way IIRC: It makes cmake output a CodeBlocks project (cbp) and then uses that. But after that you don't really notice a difference (I always open the top level CMakeLists.txt with QtCreator and it recognizes everything).
                  Awesome. Opening the CMakeLists.txt file directly is what I wanted. Thanks for the info.

                  Comment


                  • #59
                    thanks a lot siavashserver for the tip. Looks like I am going to dump CodeBlocks

                    Comment


                    • #60
                      As a user I've always loved GTK2, even not minding it on Windows but GTK3 is just regressions, self-serving deluded maintainers, hell for people who make the themes and braindead crap like the "Recently Used" folders in file save/open dialogs. Last thing that got me irked is the Yahtzee Gnome game : the first, quite important column with the dice constantly resizes itself as the couple words below the dice change, as you play the game. In my language at least. So what was a simple, enjoyable game is now a source of irritation as the display "jumps" every single time you roll the dice. What a pity!

                      Of course, suffices to say the "Recently Used" feature, on top of leaking data to other people who use your computer (like porn files you've opened or other stuff), makes me navigate the folder hierarchy manually every single time I do a File Open or File Save in a GTK3 application, instead of remembering the last used folder as GTK2 does. They're using their latest software tech to make it as cumbersome as using a fucking Motif/Lesstif application.

                      I'll keep using a GTK2 desktop : Mate, my other option being also a GTK2 one (LXDE). Lxde is moving to Qt, but the GTK2 version (esp. pcmanfm) will coexist for a while

                      GTK3 is such a failure, I've just recently read about a developer wondering if he should build an entirely new application with GTK2, GTK3 or something else. Guess what.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X