• Time
  • Show
Clear All

this little survey shows that Gnome 3 is more popular than KDE
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uQ-.../viewanalytics

source http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...ey_about_dewm/

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
      Don't be silly: KDE is the "K Desktop Environment". That's what everyone (apparently just not you) means by "KDE".
      That would be KDE SC (KDE Software Compilation), but i have to agree that most use KDE instead of KDE SC.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
        Do you think these hacks will still be there with Unity 8? Where they there with the old "Unity 2D"? I bet it all has to do with the peculiar idea of implementing a DE as a plugin to a window manager, Compiz, but then I'm no developer.
        Thing is, the hacks are there today because they wanted to push something out to their users, without taking the time to do it properly - instead of building a Unity8 style system at the time, they hacked something together so they could proclaim their shiny new UI, and only then spend time doing it properly. Those specific hacks will probably be gone in the next version, but if the attitude that put them there hasn't changed, I imagine they'll simply have been replaced with different ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          That would be KDE SC (KDE Software Compilation), but i have to agree that most use KDE instead of KDE SC.
          Does *anyone* outside of the project refer to the desktop as anything other than KDE? The KDE devs refer to KDE SC in their blogs and g+ streams, but I rarely see the term used anywhere else... it's been KDE for more than ten years, and nobody can be bothered adding "SC" to the end...

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            There is no problem at all to configure Vim to behave like you want it. Of course the learning curve of nano is much lower, but you can't adapt it to your needs as good as Vim. That is the same thing as with Gnome, to use nano you have to adapt to nano, but I can adapt Vim to my likings.
            And what exactly do you want to do with GNOME that you can't write an extension for?

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
              They brought it on themselves when they discontinued Gnome 2 to release this abomination. And as for "given enough eyeballs", I seriously doubt that anyone in their right mind uses Gnome 3, much less people who could actually fix bugs in it. Much like Unity it's a total train wreck of a DE that has nothing to offer except "shiny" (read: monstrously ugly) UI, zero productivity and near zero configurability.
              Dev here and using RedHat/Fedora for 17 years now. I love Gnome 3, it is a step in the right direction towards modernizing the distro.

Comment

Originally posted by chenxiaolong View Post
                EDIT: Oh yeah. For those who hated GNOME for the optional systemd dependencies, well, several Unity packages can't compile without Upstart or libnih (ha).
                Interesting fun fact

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                  [...]I seriously doubt that anyone in their right mind uses Gnome 3[...]
                  I installed Arch with Gnome3 on my fathers computer and enabled the "Applications Menu" extension, which is -- afaik -- part of the official extensions for gnome3. He likes that desktop quite a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
                    And what exactly do you want to do with GNOME that you can't write an extension for?
                    You may have noticed that I was referring to people telling that Gnome was nice after adapting to it. My point was that the GUI has to adapt to the user, not the other way around. If you can do that with extensions good for you, but doesn't change the posts of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      You may have noticed that I was referring to people telling that Gnome was nice after adapting to it. My point was that the GUI has to adapt to the user, not the other way around. If you can do that with extensions good for you, but doesn't change the posts of others.
                      I don't think the GUI necessarily has to adapt to the user. In that case no new UI paradigm could ever evolve.
                      The GUI must only make it possible for the user to do what the user wants to do. In some cases it might be that a new GUI has a different way of doing things which will force you to change how you do things. This is not *necessarily* bad, if it does not decrease your productivity.
                      I am a heavy user of LaTex. That writing environment was vastly different from my previous tools of writing (pen and paper, Word processor, HTML markup, ...). It took quite some time to get used to, and it is sometimes even quite annoying. I would however never want to replace it with any of the tools I tried before.
                      And I have the same feeling of GNOME 3. Some things are different, and some things are annoying. Over all, I still much prefer it to any DE I have used to this day.

Comment

Working...
                      X