No announcement yet.

GNOME Ended 2013 With 46k Open Bug Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing that really sucks with Gnome 3.10 is that it hides all your tray icons which is just fucking bullshit. The purpose of the pidgin icon for example is to see whether or not you have new messages. I have to fix this by installing the "topicons" extension which puts your dropbox and pidgin icons in the topbar. I also use the application and places extension which gives you a Gnome 2 feel and after that Gnome 3.10 is kind of nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
      And that is the point. Why should you have to adapt to the GUI? It is the GUI's job to adapt to your workflow.
      Isn't the only way to adapt to your pre-existing workflow to emulate closely whatever GUI you happened to use before? This kind of prevents all progress or experimentation that isn't very incremental. A change almost always implicates a learning curve and/or transition phase even if it's for the better. You need to get a feel for the tool before you can use it comfortably and efficiently.

That said, I'm very happy with my rather traditional and trusty Xfce setup for both work and leisure. There's no need to look for alternatives if your current tools work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
        Ok, every KDE version I've used has been ungodly unstable. I hate the fundamental design and look of KDE that no tweaking will help. Plus, I have real work to do. I don't want to tweak or deal with crashes. That good enough for you?
        That's fine. If it crashes for you and distracts you from your work, then use something that works better for you.

That was exactly my experience with GNOME, BTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
          And that is the point. Why should you have to adapt to the GUI? It is the GUI's job to adapt to your workflow.
          HAHAHAHAHAHA says a Vim user! With the learning curve of a cliff! Talk about adapting your workflow to the tool at hand. I'm also a Vim user, but that's really talking about a tool where you have to spend a lot of time to be able to harness the power of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
            HAHAHAHAHAHA says a Vim user! With the learning curve of a cliff! Talk about adapting your workflow to the tool at hand. I'm also a Vim user, but that's really talking about a tool where you have to spend a lot of time to be able to harness the power of it.
            You can say that about every program aimed at professionals.

AutoCAD has a steeper learning curve than MS Paint, but it can do so much more in the hands of an expert

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              You can say that about every program aimed at professionals.

AutoCAD has a steeper learning curve than MS Paint, but it can do so much more in the hands of an expert
              Exactly, that was my point.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                That's fine. If it crashes for you and distracts you from your work, then use something that works better for you.

That was exactly my experience with GNOME, BTW!
                I should have responded nicer. Sorry.

Whats a good Linux version that has the best KDE out of the box? I'll gladly load a vm to see recent KDE offerings.

Comment

The only desktops I can't stand are KDE and Windows 8.x . KDE looks and runs like it was designed by a teenager obsessed with anime. Windows 8....well.. uhhhgggg.
                  As a teenager obsessed with anime, I hate the way KDE looks too... so bad simile there.

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
                  Minor:
                  * Unable to remove entries from the 'Places' sidebar (the option is always greyed out).
                  * The window has a 'View' and 'Edit' menu, but the 'File' menu is in the topbar - pick one style please.
                  * To enter a location you have to go to the top bar menu, but there should be a way of triggering the location entry bar from the path buttons - even Windows Explorer can manage this.
                  * The status bar is transitory, and doesn't show you the size of directories nor the free space.

Major:
                  * If an operation requires elevated privileges, Nautilus does not show a password prompt - you just have to give up and use the command line. I'm not sure if any other file manager can do this, but it's ludicrous that in 2014 I have use a command prompt to paste an icon into /usr/share so everyone can see it...
                  Might I suggest Cinnamon's browser, Nautilus? (though, it seems you have to pull in cinnamon to use it). In order:
                  * The only two you can't remove is Home and Desktop (and I could probably remove desktop if I wasn't having Nemo managing it)
                  * All menus are in the normal place for a file manager (though, you can hide the menubar and access it with <alt> if you want)
                  * Nemo has a button on the right side of the location to switch from breadcrumb mode to... URI? mode and back. Or it has the <ctrl>+L shortcut to do the same.
                  * The status bar shows free space, but you still have to go into properties to find the size of directories. (On a side note, devices that you have mounted will show up with a bar under them showing the percentage of free space vs used space)

*Still doesn't have this, but I feel this is more of a "not going to happen" for most file managers since it's a gross "security risk" in the eyes of Linux users. I personally thing it's more valuable as a usability option than a security risk, but I'm a lowly non-coder.

On to Gnome 3, I hated it at first but it's not a HORRIBLE DE like many make it out to be. I personally won't use it again, ever, but that's just a personal thing. All of my experiences with it has been sub-par. That said, some Gnome technologies are awesome. And GTK is awesome (how many remember that it's not a "Gnome" technology? :P). Thus, I have found my love in Cinnamon.

But really, Gnome 3 is good as a pretty DE, I just think it's a little confused about it's identity. Come Gnome 3.25, I'm sure it will be awesome... I just wonder about the patience of the community trying to keep up with the theme/extension-breaking changes every release for that long :P

Comment

I should have responded nicer. Sorry.

Whats a good Linux version that has the best KDE out of the box? I'll gladly load a vm to see recent KDE offerings.
                    It is supposed to be either OpenSUSE or some form of Mandriva, but I haven't used either in a while.

To be honest, the KDE that comes with Debian Stable is rock solid for me, and has been for 3 years now (not a single crash). A bit outdated, but like you said: I want to work.

At the moment, I have a single panel on the left side of the screen with most common apps, some magic corners (I mostly use desktop grid+expose), but I generally use keyboard shortcuts for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                      As a teenager obsessed with anime, I hate the way KDE looks too... so bad simile there.

Trigun, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Princess Mononoke.... I can appreciate, but am not obsessed.

Comment

Working...
                      X