GNOME Ended 2013 With 46k Open Bug Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
    They brought it on themselves when they discontinued Gnome 2 to release this abomination. And as for "given enough eyeballs", I seriously doubt that anyone in their right mind uses Gnome 3, much less people who could actually fix bugs in it. Much like Unity it's a total train wreck of a DE that has nothing to offer except "shiny" (read: monstrously ugly) UI, zero productivity and near zero configurability.
    Hmm, I actually find Gnome 3 quite usable. It's my preferred DE over KDE, Xfce, Unity, LXDE and even MacOS X and I am quite productive in it. To each his own, I guess.

I do agree there are some bugs. None of them are showstoppers, though (IMO)

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
      Serious question, what doens't work well for you? Whats missing?
      Well, let's just say I switched to KDE when suddenly (after an update) I needed to create a template file to be able to right-click->new->empty file.

For more see http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=198

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui
        Serious question, what doens't work well for you? Whats missing?
        Minor:
        * Unable to remove entries from the 'Places' sidebar (the option is always greyed out).
        * The window has a 'View' and 'Edit' menu, but the 'File' menu is in the topbar - pick one style please.
        * To enter a location you have to go to the top bar menu, but there should be a way of triggering the location entry bar from the path buttons - even Windows Explorer can manage this.
        * The status bar is transitory, and doesn't show you the size of directories nor the free space.

Major:
        * If an operation requires elevated privileges, Nautilus does not show a password prompt - you just have to give up and use the command line. I'm not sure if any other file manager can do this, but it's ludicrous that in 2014 I have use a command prompt to paste an icon into /usr/share so everyone can see it...

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
          They brought it on themselves when they discontinued Gnome 2 to release this abomination. And as for "given enough eyeballs", I seriously doubt that anyone in their right mind uses Gnome 3, much less people who could actually fix bugs in it. Much like Unity it's a total train wreck of a DE that has nothing to offer except "shiny" (read: monstrously ugly) UI, zero productivity and near zero configurability.
          I absolutely agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
            Well, let's just say I switched to KDE when suddenly (after an update) I needed to create a template file to be able to right-click->new->empty file.

For more see http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=198
            Yeouch! Reason enough!!

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
              Minor:
              * Unable to remove entries from the 'Places' sidebar (the option is always greyed out).
              * The window has a 'View' and 'Edit' menu, but the 'File' menu is in the topbar - pick one style please.
              * To enter a location you have to go to the top bar menu, but there should be a way of triggering the location entry bar from the path buttons - even Windows Explorer can manage this.
              * The status bar is transitory, and doesn't show you the size of directories nor the free space.

Major:
              * If an operation requires elevated privileges, Nautilus does not show a password prompt - you just have to give up and use the command line. I'm not sure if any other file manager can do this, but it's ludicrous that in 2014 I have use a command prompt to paste an icon into /usr/share so everyone can see it...
              Good points as well. Thank you!

I suppose I'm not a Nautilus power user. I tend to just pop open a terminal.

Comment

+1 as a user of Gnome 3, I generally find the interface quite pleasant to use. For some reason I have never liked the look of KDE but will certainly admit it's a great DE in it's own right, just not for me. I love the Gnome 3/Unity style of using the Super/Windows key to bring up an overview of everything and typing to find applications. At first it took me a bit of time to get used to it but once I did I found my productivity improved immensely. Gnome 3 isn't perfect by any means but so far it's my favorite of Gnome, KDE and Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                  Yeouch! Reason enough!!
                  If you'd read my previous posts, you'd be able to understand that was only the tipping point, not the sole reason.

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
                    Minor:
                    You can do CTRL-L and type the URI for where you want to go in the location bar. Is that what you wanted to do?

Each to their own I guess, but I actually like that it behaves like that. If you need the amount of free space, you can right click on Home in places and select properties.

Yes, this would be a very nice feature. Have you opened a bug report on that?

On the topic, I really like GNOME3. It is the first ever environment where I have never felt the need to customize anything to have it working as I want it. My only tweaks are choice of background image, and having the date shown in the top bar.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      Gnome 3 can be used for productivity, if one gets used to it.
                      Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                      I also agree with you that Gnome 3 is quite nice to work in after a while of getting used to it.
                      And that is the point. Why should you have to adapt to the GUI? It is the GUI's job to adapt to your workflow.

Comment

Working...
                      X