Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    You must be masochist among developers.
    I do IOS, OSX, Windows and *nix development professionally. I prefer Gnome 3 and Unity over any other Linux desktop. Thats my preference. I'm certainly not masichistic. Unity for me is easy. Upper left to search or easily view categories of programs. Left bar pinned with what I use most. The rest of the GUI stays out of the way for me. Windows 7 is ok, OSX I can deal since I have a proper terminal. XFCE runs on my servers since it works out of the box better with RDP.

The only desktops I can't stand are KDE and Windows 8.x . KDE looks and runs like it was designed by a teenager obsessed with anime. Windows 8....well.. uhhhgggg.

My opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
      Well, my ignore list is always hungry. And its favorite food is trolls like you.

/yawn
      Get over yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        Though it is not smart to feed the trolls, i have to say that you are exaggerating much...

While Gnome 3 could use some improvements, it is not a bad idea. I like its concepts, and given some time it will shine. Gnome 2 was old. Gnome 3 can be used for productivity, if one gets used to it. Although i do agree about its configurability...
        +1.

I used gnome 3 for a while and got used to it even though there were some things I really hated, until I eventually got fed up with all their bullshit and switched to KDE (for the n-th time, but before this last time it was very unstable for me).

I don't actually develop normal desktop applications, so I can't speak for the developer frriendliness of either, but in my opinion Gnome is prettier than KDE, and I actually liked it's workflow. However I don't think it makes that much of a difference compared to the traditional desktop.
        What's really miserable in Gnome is it's file manager. Seriously, it's one of the most important applications of an operating system, and it sucks in Gnome! Nothing beats dolphin in this department IMO.

There are also some bugs in Gnome regarding DPI last time I tried. My monitor reports wrong DPI, and as such Gnome's interface is HUUUUGE. Not really a Gnome bug you say? Well, it (Gnome, not X) doesn't have (as far as I know) a way to override it, and given the huge amount of monitors with wrong EDID data, I consider this a major bug. I'm not even going to bother reporting that since they probably know about this and already decided that it's not their problem... Plus, adding options don't appear to be their top priority...

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
          +1. I also agree with you that Gnome 3 is quite nice to work in after a while of getting used to it. I'm running Gentoo and I think they're still on Gnome 3.10, and even though there are a lot of "paper cuts" that still needs to be adressed, 3.10 has kind of evolved into something usable. Minor things like automatic maximize in horizontal direction, or split screen between windows, needs to be done. But I kind of like Gnome 3 now.
          Correction: Gentoo's on 3.8, not 3.10.

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
            What's really miserable in Gnome is it's file manager. Seriously, it's one of the most important applications of an operating system, and it sucks in Gnome! Nothing beats dolphin in this department IMO.
            I've got to agree to with that. Nautilus got better in 3.10, but it's still sub-par.

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
              I've got to agree to with that. Nautilus got better in 3.10, but it's still sub-par.
              Serious question, what doens't work well for you? Whats missing?

Comment

Feedback

Originally posted by Tgui View Post

The only desktops I can't stand are KDE and Windows 8.x . KDE looks and runs like it was designed by a teenager obsessed with anime. Windows 8....well.. uhhhgggg.

My opinions.
                It is nice that you express your opinion, but I would like to hear more of it: You just say it looks like designed by a teenager, which I cannot understand ...
                Which components are you talking about? The icons? (at the point I can agree that the are not the best looking ones, but definitely not the work of a teenager ..., just the style is outfashioned and not very pretty imho...)
                Oxygen theme? (At this point I have to strongly disagree, as the theme is very polished and well designed (though people complain about the grey that can be changed very easily))
                Plasma? (I cannot believe this looks like designed by a teenager ... It is very well designed and very flexible in terms of design. Have a look at http://dot.kde.org/sites/dot.kde.org...p-calendar.png)
                Default config? (Maybe the defualt config may not be the best, with settings like icons on buttons and in every menu ... but that can be disabled in Systemsettings/Application Appearance/Style/Fine Tuning)

So I would like to know which component you are talking about... I suspect the icons, as they really destroy the appearance of the whole desktop imho.
                Try to disable icons in menus and on buttons, switch the icon theme (to example KFaenza which can be found on KDElook) and maybe if you do not like it, change the colour scheme and believe me, you will look at something very different from an aesthetical point of view.

So a quick feedback of what could be done better would be appreciated.

P.S.: Please stop talking about KDE. KDE is a community, not a dekstop environment. Do you mean plasma? applications? icons? etc.

Comment

I do IOS, OSX, Windows and *nix development professionally. I prefer Gnome 3 and Unity over any other Linux desktop. Thats my preference. I'm certainly not masichistic. Unity for me is easy. Upper left to search or easily view categories of programs. Left bar pinned with what I use most. The rest of the GUI stays out of the way for me. Windows 7 is ok, OSX I can deal since I have a proper terminal. XFCE runs on my servers since it works out of the box better with RDP.

Why not click 5 times and have KDE work exactly the way your Unity works?

I mean, preferences are fine, but this is some really weaksauce criticism here. Discarding millions of lines of code because you couldn't be bothered to customise it for 5 minutes....

Comment

Feedback...

My opinions.
                    It is nice that you express your opinion, but I would like to hear more of it: You just say it looks like designed by a teenager, which I cannot understand ...
                    Which components are you talking about? The icons? (at the point I can agree that the are not the best looking ones, but definitely not the work of a teenager ..., just the style is outfashioned and not very pretty imho...)
                    Oxygen theme? (At this point I have to strongly disagree, as the theme is very polished and well designed (though people complain about the grey that can be changed very easily))
                    Plasma? (I cannot believe this looks like designed by a teenager ... It is very well designed and very flexible in terms of design. Have a look at http://dot.kde.org/sites/dot.kde.org...p-calendar.png)
                    Default config? (Maybe the defualt config may not be the best, with settings like icons on buttons and in every menu ... but that can be disabled in Systemsettings/Application Appearance/Style/Fine Tuning)

So I would like to know which component you are talking about... I suspect the icons, as they really destroy the appearance of the whole desktop imho.
                    Try to disable icons in menus and on buttons, switch the icon theme (to example KFaenza which can be found on KDElook) and maybe if you do not like it, change the colour scheme and believe me, you will look at something very different from an aesthetical point of view.

So a quick feedback of what could be done better would be appreciated.

P.S.: Please stop talking about KDE. KDE is a community, not a dekstop environment. Do you mean plasma? applications? icons? etc.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      Why not click 5 times and have KDE work exactly the way your Unity works?

I mean, preferences are fine, but this is some really weaksauce criticism here. Discarding millions of lines of code because you couldn't be bothered to customise it for 5 minutes....
                      Ok, every KDE version I've used has been ungodly unstable. I hate the fundamental design and look of KDE that no tweaking will help. Plus, I have real work to do. I don't want to tweak or deal with crashes. That good enough for you?

Comment

Working...
                      X